Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the stock spring adjustment for a 98 zr 500 front springs, I thought it was 2 in. of threaded collar showing but that seems like too much. Thanks

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's more of a trial and error thing, I run 5 or 6 turns on my ZR and the front skid shock has only maybe one turn. Find yourself a good section of trail and try some stuff... just remember how many turns so you can always go back to the previous set up.
2" seems a little much. Did you get your shocks done? How many turns did it take to get the springs off??

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I had too much going on, and while trying to hurry up , I forgot to pay attention to where I had them at. It just seems like way too much ski presurre now.

·
Registered
580 Posts
From all of the setup info I've read the front springs should start just tight enough to keep the keepers from falling out and go from there.

I'm getting WAY too much body roll and inside ski lift so I'd assume I need to go a little stiffer. (Or get a bigger swaybar.) I also assume by doing this, I'll loose some bump compliance in the front.

Loosen them a bit and see how you like it. Most of the setup info here and at arctic chat.com shows that people tend to set up these ZRs way too stiff. Mine was and now with rebuilt shocks and softened suspension, it runs through the bumps better than my buddy's 02' XCSP. I only occasionally bottom out mostly on G-out type situations which it seems is OK. If you don't bottom occasionally, you aren't using all of our travel.

By the way, i ride a 99 ZR500.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If somebody has a stock 98 zr500 could you please measure the amount of threaded area from the cap to the spring collar. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts