Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me if these are good sleds , like how reliabile they are . Do they have good power ? Could someone please tell me about it , its for a freind of mine . ???

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody knows these sleds?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yup its a good sled, a little thirsty on fuel but overall a nice ride. With clutching and jetting most will beat up on the ZR-600. I've got a nice clean 98 500 ZL for sale if your interested, only 1900 miles and comes with lots of extras including Goodwyn clutching.
Rick

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good strong engine. Arctic Cat makes the the most power for a 500 out of them all. Likes the fuel, but don't they all. The ZR should have rebuildable shocks. Re-clutch it. Get a compression test done on the engine.

My brother has a 98 ZL500 EFI and has never had a problem.

newf

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Like everyone above said its a great motor. Very consistent and puts out plenty of power. I could take 600s last year with only a few simple changes vforce, and clutching.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just went out there with buddy of mine and the machine was in pretty rough shape . The hood bracket at the front was broke right off so hood had nothing to hold it open , the track had missing lugs , the front end would not turn good [lack of grease] the intercoolers under the track were all stone chipped, and it was hard to start , cause of old gas . The compression was at 105 mag 103 pto , to me that seems low! But thanks to you guys for your input anyways. This machine was a result of lack of care , it really is a shame. :sarcasm:

·
Registered
79 Posts
My brother had a 1998 zl500. It worked excellent, lots of power and lightweight. It was a little hard an fuel and oil. He had 6000 miles on it when he got water in the gas and took out one cylinder.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If it is in that rough of shape leave it right where it is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a 98 ZR500, it was very fast. One thing you should worry about is the crank. On the 98s they had a weak crank, I had to have mine rebuilt. Also there was a bolt or something that broke in the rear suspension and I had to have it welded.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We also have a 98 zr 500 it was the hayward wi, winterfest world record holder in the stock 500 class
average of 98-101 in 1000ft it is for sale because we got a f7 and a f5 also for this year. can be setup for trail or race. That motor is tough no problems at all, it only has about 600 miles. the sled picture is on our website www.cseracing.com :devil:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you have any other pictures of it. There is only one. That dosnt give to many agels of the sled for me too look at. I would like to ask a few Questions.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found another one that I am looking with a friend , they have fox shocks on them ? Can they also use twin pipes and v force reeds? And what power gains can you get with that on it? I'm not at all familiar with artic cats so any info would be great. ???

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 98 ZR 500 with mbrp silencer and I did my own clutch mods I can beat 600 triple yammys and i am not kiddin it is a sick fast sled for a 500, very very strong and reliable thats why i bought the new F5 i love 500's

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just came back from looking at it , a 98 zr 500 and it was in good shape . The compression was 110 pto and 108 mag sides, my question is this alright or should this be a little higher? ??? Also , is it normal for the cowling to have hair line cracks just below the windshield on each side ? ???

·
Registered
485 Posts
She in need of rings for sure and what else time will tell.How many miles?
Crank bearings,compression should be 140-145 cold with that kind of
compression it would be sick.Pistons,rings,gaskets,o-rings, seals,crank
bearings.Did you inspect the clutches ? 98`s had this crank bearing problem.
Cape Breton Stock...........................

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my friend told the guy what you said and he lowered his price to $2900.00 canadian funds , so lets hear from any body about this issue on what we should do? ???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts