Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a D&D single pipe and v-force 3  reeds for this 98 ZR500. Any luck with the pipe and reeds?  I know the v-force 3 are new but how about v-force in general?  I don't want to be left too far behind the others 600 and 700's! Thanks

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Your best bang for the buck would be a set of Carbon Tech reeds, clutching, tempa flow and jetting. Lots of gains to be had with the 500 with proper tuning. Rick.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have a 00zr500 carb.  It is as far as I know the same engine as the 98 500s.  I have ran VforceIIs on it for 2 years which made it much snappier then stock.  I have a D&D single, canister, and clutch kit that I will be using this year butwon't have a chance to test it tell it snows.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started with Earlandson's pro clutch kit. Ive had good luck with there kits in the past. I still need to "fine tune" it, I only ran it 100 miles last spring. The sled has UFO's it and they seem to work ok. I do have the temp-a-flow on the list but after I get the other things on it and the jetting where it needs to be. The money just isn't there to buy and not have it work. Thats why I have a cheaper sled this year. (wife's old sled) I had to sell my 2000 polaris 600sp. You have ran carbon tech reeds?  How and what you run them in?  Everyone pushes the v-force these days.  I really like the 98, the sleds are getting so light that it takes a better set up to stick the sled to the corners on the trails.  Thanks for any input.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone try PSI twins on a 500?  D&D said their twins are better than the single. Even though they advertise the single as such.

A

·
0 Posts
If you run the D&D single or twins you'd be better off to get the power breather or gut out the airbox.  With the aftermarket exhaust, it will need to breathe better.  Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I really don't think the powerbreather is worth the money.  I have no experience but here is my reason why.  Anytime you add more air to the system you need to rejet.  With a power breater you don't need to rejet according to D&D.  Thats just my opinion though.  Unless your really good at clutching I would suggest getting the clutch kit with the D&D single.  So far I know I like the sound of the D&D single.

A

·
0 Posts
I have experience with the power breather and I do think it is worth the money.

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zr500 @ Sep. 05, 2002, 11:25am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I really don't think the powerbreather is worth the money.  I have no experience but here is my reason why.  Anytime you add more air to the system you need to rejet.  With a power breater you don't need to rejet according to D&D.  Thats just my opinion though.  Unless your really good at clutching I would suggest getting the clutch kit with the D&D single.  So far I know I like the sound of the D&D single.[/b][/quote]
I wouldn't rejet right off the bat, I would make a few runs and check the color of the plugs.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you add more air and need to rejet. Then you get more air fuel mixture. More is better in my book. D&D also said the TWIN pipes are better that the single. They both make about the same HP but the twins are more consistant in the power band. I'm going to look at haydays this weekend for some pipes and maybe a power breather.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe they are saying you don't need to rejet a stock sled because they are usually jetted a little on the fat side. Instead of dropping the jets a couple of sizes you get the same effect by increasing the airflow. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I never thought of that.  I forgot that they would mean from stock.  I'm so used to rejetting them after break in.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Technically yes they would bolt on to the bulkhead because the frames are the same.  The stuff I'm almost sure you would need different is belly pans, front bumper, hood, windshield, bezel around the steering post, and molding were the recoil is.  I think you would also need a new style gas tank and with that the seat.  If you want the front end to sit like a new style you have to swap out the front shocks also.  Personally I would'nt think the cost of everything is worth it.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have to correct my last post.  I was at home today working on putting my 00 back together and I was comparing it to my bros 99 zr600.  You would need to change hoods, windshield, front bumper, and belly pans.  The only other change needed would be the shocks if you want to go for a complete new style look.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm not real sure actually.  I'm guessing somewhere in the 115hp area.  I'm not sure how far I want to take it.  I have BM monoblock head with pump fuel inserts and 1.44 offset ignition key on the shelf.  I'm trying to decide if I want to have to run higher octane or not if I did that I should be in the 120 area I would guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts