Snowmobile World banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of buying a 99 mach z 800. It has 1750 miles, is there any probs with this year and make of sled? Is it fast, is there any specs i can find , that give hp and weight stuff like that? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 99 mach z for $2,500 at an Auction in Michgan. It has about 5,000 miles on it and is clean with a compression = 150 psi in each cylinder. I took it to a dealer to go over it and the only thing it needed was the hyfax replaced. The tech said that he was not aware of any problems associated with this model. It seems to be hungry to go when you wind it up. The shop manual doesn't post a HP, but the dry weight is 572 lbs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The bearing problem was mainly with the 1997 700 Triples, and some of the 1998's. There was never a problem with the type 809 engine that's in that 1999 Mach Z. It was a great motor, and was completely unchanged from 1997-2003. It made somewhere in the 150-160 HP range, depending on who's dyno sheet you were looking at.

As far as problems, I would have a close look at the tunnel, look for scrape marks from studs near the rear of the tunnel. Four years old is probably pushing it for the life of a track (if stored outside, or neglected), so look at the condition of it for stud tearouts, missing clips, etc.

The Mach Z was built to be a "Muscle Sled", so it's most at home on the lakes or long straightaways. Not really ment to be a 20-50 mph trail sled, it will do it, but you'll find it likes to overheat if you just putt around on it. It's a lot of sled to try to "muscle" around the trails.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Get a quote on insurance first. If you can't find reasonable insurance then you'd better buy it real cheap. Other then being a target for insurance companies to charge hugh premiums, it's an awsome sled, great top end, great looks, awsome sound out of a big triple.
Buddy of Jawz and I both want to get a 99 Mach Z with RER, it was a spring order sled if it has RER, we found one but let it slip through our fingures (no cash). I love the lakes and the power and the speed and this sled is awsome for all of those. Great sled, nough said! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just sold my 99 Mach Z.... It had 13000 km's on it... I used if for everything! I had to replace the pilot jets one size smaller to keep it from smoking and eating spark plugs... I also used a tempaflow kit - worked great! No major issues - Ride quality can't compare to the newer ZX's and Rev's... The SC-10 w/ACM is easy to adjust for transfer... I put a 1.25" track on it and WOW what a difference - I went from last place on 660' drags to top 3... Easy to sneak a set of V Force 3's in - no one will ever notice!

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
very fast! Lots of power. Some guys had stator problems, but others had no problems what so ever. Vlevety smooth engine :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
O love my 1999 Mach Z. It is a rocket, but I did put 45 pilots in the carbs. The stock pilots are too rich and will foul plugs quickly. There are no motor issues at all. I have abused mine beyond anything Skidoo could dream up and it is still going strong. You will never have to take second place to a twin if your suspension is set up right. The ACM SC10 suspension is great for hooking up, a 1.25 inch track makes it even better! Good Luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by 97mach1@Dec 10 2003, 09:13 AM
The Mach Z was built to be a "Muscle Sled", so it's most at home on the lakes or long straightaways. Not really ment to be a 20-50 mph trail sled, it will do it, but you'll find it likes to overheat if you just putt around on it. It's a lot of sled to try to "muscle" around the trails.
97mach1,

I just found that out this past week (the overheating part). Is there anything one can do to help this condition of overheating? I was beginning to think something was wrong with my sled till I read your post.

Big Bad Jon (or anyone that knows), what is a tempaflow kit?

Did anyone that put a 1.25" track on have any trouble with clearance?

I love this site - picked up a good tip about the pilot jets. SWRules

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
423 Posts
One thing that helped me out with cooling was "Water Wetter" from Redline. You should be able to find it at most auto parts stores, or sled shops. It seems to help me becuase it seems like I was always running close to the redline on my sled, and with that stuff in the coolant, it always seems to run cooler.

It will still overheat when you run it in no snow or run it slow. Just find the edges of trails and give it a fistful of throttle to throw some fresh snow around in the tunnel.

For more on tempa-flow, check out www.holtzmaneng.com It leans out your carbs based on temperature. Just like Ski-Doo's DPM system they have, but it's only about $150 us.

I put a 1.25" track on my 1997 Mach 1, and didn't have any clearance problems. On the CKIII, my friend fit a 1.5" track without any clearance problem. He then decided to stud it (for grass drags), and had some light scrape marks. He then rolled the chaincase and all was good.

So, you definately won't have a problem with the 1.25" track. I didn't on my F-2000 Chassis, and the CKIII has even more clearance than mine. There's also a few guys around here with CKIII's with 1.25" tracks and studs.

Ditto on the smaller pilots. I have 45's in mine too (50's stock) and ran a season on a set of plugs (about 1000 miles).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey, 1.25" no problem! Good investment for a short tracker! 45 pilots are a must on those ole girls - someone once asked me was I burning boughs one time before I changed mine. Tempaflow is a kit from Holtzman Engineering that is like an aftermarket DPM. It automatically adjusts your carbs for temperature changes. The brains of the unit mounts inside the airbox and vents to the outside behind the airbox. All the vent lines of your carbs are linked together and routed inside the airbox into the "brain" and a vaccum line is added from the cover of one carb to the front side of the "brain" which is inside the front wall of the airbox. Manual adjustment is possible if you remove the vaccum line at the airbox and turn the screw in the end of the "brain" with a flat screwdriver. Lots of resources on the net. I used an egt gauge on my Mach and I always liked to keep an eye on the cylinder temps. A little piece of ice/water or a tiny restriction in a fuel line can cost a lot of money on a triple ($800 per cyl and $200 per piston). I didn't need to change my mains with the tempaflow setup - I do ride in a cold climate (Labrador - Canada). I'd recommend the kit for any machine without DPM or SDI!!!! One more thing about the 1.25" track.... If you want to freak out your buddies climb a steep hill and stand on the moldings - I swear it will use the last two pitches of the track and lift everything else!!!! Never had mine come back over but #$%^@# made my buddies laugh!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't want to sound like a broken record to the regular readers of this forum, but I had a '99 that I recently sold to make way for my '03. The '99 was a great sled, no problems and plenty of steam. I studded the track and installed an Erlandson Clutch kit. I give it 2 thumbs up! Relax and enjoy!! :inlove:

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing that helped me out with cooling was "Water Wetter" from Redline. You should be able to find it at most auto parts stores, or sled shops. It seems to help me becuase it seems like I was always running close to the redline on my sled, and with that stuff in the coolant, it always seems to run cooler.

It will still overheat when you run it in no snow or run it slow. Just find the edges of trails and give it a fistful of throttle to throw some fresh snow around in the tunnel.

For more on tempa-flow, check out www.holtzmaneng.com It leans out your carbs based on temperature. Just like Ski-Doo's DPM system they have, but it's only about $150 us.

I put a 1.25" track on my 1997 Mach 1, and didn't have any clearance problems. On the CKIII, my friend fit a 1.5" track without any clearance problem. He then decided to stud it (for grass drags), and had some light scrape marks. He then rolled the chaincase and all was good.

So, you definately won't have a problem with the 1.25" track. I didn't on my F-2000 Chassis, and the CKIII has even more clearance than mine. There's also a few guys around here with CKIII's with 1.25" tracks and studs.

Ditto on the smaller pilots. I have 45's in mine too (50's stock) and ran a season on a set of plugs (about 1000 miles).
How do you roll the chain case?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts