Snowmobile World banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 MXZ 600 plain jane with no reverse that ran beautiful for the last 2500 miles untill yesterday. When I started it it ran for a minute and a half and died. It started right up one pull and I figured it was just cold. Then it ran for about 5 minutes and died. Again started up one pull. We took off and it would die once or twice each mile under any speed or throttle position. We still managed to put on around fifty miles. It really points to an electrical problem and not a fuel problem. All wiring is in good condition. I tried the dealer in Wilmington, VT and I would have been better off at the local hairdressers. I thought I'd ask here before just throwing a new brain and tether combo at it for around 300 bucks. Any insight would be much appreciated. :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not saying I'm correct, but I had a similar problem earlier in the season. Carbs looked fine, sled ran nice until a guy really got heavy into the throttle and it would die. Start right back up and go though. After way too many take-apart sessions I finally found that my main jets were sticking, pull the bowls off and everything looked pretty good to tell you the truth as I cleaned the carbs last season, but gas sure don't last long these days even with stabilizer. I, unfortunately learned the hard way, burnt one side down. Plugs were a little lean, but nothing way out of wack until it burnt down. I'd check it out

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Gootch,

Flinging your 10 speed bike in front of the beer truck in a hijacking attempt probably seemed like a good idea at the time...however, next time be sure to get off the bike first!!! You wouldn't be all gibbled up if you had thought ahead a bit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
could be the crank bearings going bad.I have a 97 mach1 and was riding it and it stoped runing started it right back up drove a little bit it shut off again it did this 2 more times until i got it home.I wouldnt run it again until you find out what it is.It cost me 1100 greenbacks to fix.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think it was the headband that gone done me in!

·
Registered
226 Posts
just horsin around, sorry if I missed the point, wont happen again

Regards Gootch

·
Registered
204 Posts
Make sure you have Br9es plugs in there. A cheap or non resistor plug will definitely cause this. Happened to me by accident this year. Put in a b9es instead of a br9es, caued it to run for only a minute or so then shut off then start right back up again. I completely tore down sled looking for a shorted wire or bad connection til I was checking the plug boots and noticed the plug number being wrong. I Put new ones in and runs great again. Try some new ones gapped at .018 .
Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Originally posted by cdgsledneck@Mar 8 2003, 07:45 PM
Make sure you have Br9es plugs in there. A cheap or non resistor plug will definitely cause this. Happened to me by accident this year. Put in a b9es instead of a br9es, caued it to run for only a minute or so then shut off then start right back up again. I completely tore down sled looking for a shorted wire or bad connection til I was checking the plug boots and noticed the plug number being wrong. I Put new ones in and runs great again. Try some new ones gapped at .018 .
Good luck!!!!
Just an add on to cdgsledneck, also check your plug caps, make sure they are screwed in all the way and also for free play on the spark plug itself, if it wiggles on the saprk plug with slight play, it would be wise to replace them too.

Hope you figure it out

Happy sleddin

Gootch

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Try to get the solid cap style plugs. I've seen the cap get loose & start to arc. Pretty soon the threads are gone & there is nothing to hold it to the plug. Also the rubber portion of the boot that holds it to the plug can loosen off. One of the guys on our northern Ontario trip had to replace the boots as I think gravity was the only thing keeping them on the plugs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts