Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it will not go above 6000 rpm and no faster than 40 mph.  it also seems to be over heating really fast. i cleaned the carbs (even though i didnt think this was the problem) and my clutch seems to be fine. i just bought it and brought it home and it does this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sounds about right with warmer temps we've been having and a fan cooled sled..my sport 440 woud barley start over 40 degrees ferinheit

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was actually about 20 degrees when i was riding it tonight and really windy.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Check the fan is it siezed up or is the exhaust pluged I have heard of mice making nests in exhaust systems.try a dif exhaust can on it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Take your cowling off to make sure the cylinders are not harboring a varmints nest. The nest will prevent air flow from cooling your cylinders.

·
0 Posts
thats what you get when you get a fan cooled sled its been to warm out!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Initially I would suggest that it might not be running as it should if were jetted too cold. However, that would not make it overheat. Since you just bought it, something could have been done with the timing. You might check it. That could account for both problems. Another possibility is the belt. Is it correct and in good condition? The secondary clutch can also be a culprit if it has been 'adjusted.' It's possible that it is shifting a bit too quickly which could account for your trouble.

Don't worry about the air temps causing the engine to overheat unless you're really putting a load on it. In my part of the world the snow is often so hard and sometimes non-existent so as to make liquid cooled machines useless. Burned up fan engines usually happen when the temps are real cold, very rarely when the temps are above freezing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts