Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 99 sx 600 with 3000 miles on it. Sled had'nt been used the last 4 winters. Sled runs fine while enrichener is on, buy dies when off.

I took the carbs off and cleaned jets and bowls, they were not that bad. previous owner drained carbs when storing.

But sled back together and still have the same problem. the sled fires right up, all three cyls firing, when enrichener is on middle setting. It idles around 2100-2200 rpm. When i turn the enrichner off the sled idles down and missfires. I have to put the enrichener back on to stop it from stalling.

What should i be looking for???? Are the crank seals gone!!

Thanx,
Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
You said you cleaned the jets and bowls. But did you clean out the rest of the carbs too? Cleaned good with carb cleaner, and blown out with compressed air? Also, if the sled sat for 4 years, did you check to make sure there's no squirrel nests in the mufflers or airbox? Make sure you also reset the idle mixture screws to factory settings. Don't know what factory setting is for your carbs, but my old Phazer engine is 1 1/2 turns out. I had a problem where the small ports on the intake side of the carbs were gummed up. I was constantly playing with the choke to get it to go on the bottom end. Remember, every little "port", or "channel" in the carb has a purpose. They must all be clean and free of blockage. And by the sounds of it, your jets aren't the problem. It's an air/fuel mixture problem. My guess would be somewhere else in the carbs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely disassembled the carbs, pilot, main, needlejet, jet needle and pilot air screw were removed and cleaned with benzene/toluene carb cleaner and blown out with compressor. Pilot air screws were at 2 turns out and I reinstalled them 2 turns out.

Air box clean, pipe and can were off and free from debris. Pulled fuel tank and flushed out. blew out fuel pump and fuel lines.

I thought it may be the crank seals because it seems lean at idle, but it does not idle high like most engines do with crank seal issues.

I know i can spray carb cleaner near the PTO crank seal and see if it idles down, but how can i check the mag seal???
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts