Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wandering a buddy of mine is looking at a 99 thundercat 1000 cc and curious to find out how there are , like realiability, durability, and if the clutches were bad or good . does any one on this post own one and if you would share your input on it . ???

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's a funny sled. I never owned a 99 but I have heard alot of good and bad things about them. More than any other year of the T-Cat this one was supposed to have had some major problems.
I know that there were some recalls on some of the clutches and on the mountain cat version with the mountain strap. The biggest gripe I have heard was with it's performance. I did race a couple of 99's with my 98 and the 99's were diffentily tamer. The airbox, the clutching, and the CDI box all played a part in that. Can't really tell you much more then some people loved them and others hated them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a used 99 thunder cat with 1400 miles on it two winters ago from a cat dealer it lasted 1 day overheated because of a rivet that some how got into the cooling system and into the water pump,brought it back to the dealer the next day and traded it for 2000 zrt 800 which i havent had much luck with either ???

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ski.....I bought a 99 Mountain T-Cat, and it was a real turd out of the crate. That sled needs an injection of $ to wake it up. #1 problem is the poor airbox design. Poor airflow, and major issues with snow injestion. First mod is pod filters for the carbs, Second is V-Force reeds, 3- is clutching, 4- is a set of pipes. I can't imagine that sled with the stock 121" track. The stock 136" paddle use to spin when you cracked the throttle at 70 mph. I'm riding on a 144" finger track which makes a huge improvement. Too many other mods to list....

ps. Here's better advice..... Tell your Buddy to walk past the T-Cat and throw a leg over a ZR900. He'll be money ahead in the long run, and he'll have twice the fun on the trail.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I take it , its not a good sled at all ! Is that because that was the first year for the new body style ? The other years these were pretty good sleds , or so I thought. :nervous:

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's not that it's not good. It's that it's not as fast in the stock configuration. Most guys and posts in the past have suggested the following to wake them up.

1. Air box changes. (this seems to be a black art of sorts for some, better to find a person which experience in making it faster, who races these things.)

2. Clutch changes.

3. (For some) V-Force Reeds.

These things bring it closer to the performance of a 1998 T-Cat which was the fastest stock T-Cat out there. Guys who were used to having or wanted to race a 1998 T-Cat were not happy to find their newer T-Cat was slower.

Other differences in 1999 vs others.

Yes it has a newer body style which is more trailable than the 1998, but it's not the 2000 body style which had a nose that was recessed back away from the skis more underneath. So in theory the 2000 body style is a bit better (according to cat). Narrow running boards. You need to get a 2001 model year to get the wider running boards. For a "stock" T-Cat purchase you need to get a 2002 model to get "stock reverse" on the sled. So each year they improved the sled a bit and there are a few drawbacks. The 1999 T-Cat is not a bad sled, it's just not the BEST T-Cat available in stock configuration.

If you have a stock 1999 T-Cat and it has say 192 studs on it, look forward to getting your butt kicked by any other 1000cc T-Cat out there that is faster. Especially if the other sled is studded properly. We see guys trying to cut corners, less studs, cut back on the mods. . . all the time. They are usually the guys who are not in first place in a drag race. But it's up to you.

The 1999 T-Cat will still be faster than any other stock sled sold by other manufacturers.

CONCLUSION:
To me, it depends on the price and the deal and what your buddy is looking for. If he wants to spend more money on getting the latest and lightest then a ZR900 or F7 would be obvoiusly in the running. For the right money, the 1999 T-Cat wouldn't be a bad deal for many.

BTW:
There are always some good deals to be had on sleds out there and sometimes performance varies from sled to sled. My one friend for example has an older 1995 T-Cat 900 with a very strong stock configuration (sometimes you get lucky). Yes the thing has less suspension movement which makes it better for ice drags, but the amazing thing is. He has never lost to a stock 1000cc sled with his 900. Only modified 1000cc sleds have beat him. That 900 is fast, a fluke sled perhaps as 900's go and the original owner didn't touch it from stock. My friend is selling that sled for $3,000. So someone out there who likes to drag race will be getting a pretty kicking sled for not much money. Yeah it's not a 1010 or some open mod 1000 drag race sled, but the price is a lot less and the arm pulling power is really a rush.

So my conclusion is there are a LOT of really good deals out there to be had on T-Cats for guys who are moving away into the "new" twin camp. Now is a good time to buy a T-Cat.

Greg

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've heard more than once that the 900's are faster than the 1000cc sleds, something to do with the way the ignition is.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It sounds like the 99 tcat had some similar problems to the 99 zrt800 which had a recall. You may want to look into that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts