Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 99 ZL600 LE EFI that I am considering replacing the drive chain. I have not owned it since new therefore I don't know how much adjustment there was on it from new. Right now with 1700 miles, when I have the chain properly adjusted(finger tight) and have the locknut tightened up snugly against the outside of the chaincase housing, I have 2 - 2 1/2 threads showing between the lock nut and the begining
of the threads on the adjuster bolt. In otherwords, I have only 2 threads of adjustment left before there is no more adjustment.... I have taken the cover off to inspect and everything inside seems to look excellent(gears ect...) My gut instinct is that the chain needs replacing due to stretching or do you think I am jumping the gun here. I don't want to see how it goes this winter and replace during the riding season if needed, yet I don't want to purchase a new chain and install it and find that I only gain 1 more thread of adjustment.... Anyone got a 99 ZL handy that they could take a look at how much thread is left(exposed) on the adjuster bolt and also report the miles on the machine? I would greatly appreciate that favor. Thanks.
-JPL

·
Registered
172 Posts
if there is only like 1/4 inch of thread left, then the chain is probably too long for the gearing that is in the sled.    take the chain off the sled and count the amount of links on the chain, it should be in the 68-76 link range.    if lets say it is a 74, then go to a 72 or a 70(70 might be sorta tight, but will probably fit), and that should fix your problem.   the person before you probably put a smaller top gear in the sled to try and gain a little more on the bottom.       check with the dealer for the correct gearing, and see if thats what is in the sled, if it is the right gearing then the chain must have stretched slightly, replacing the chain should fix the problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Has similar problem this year with my 500zl. reverse failed at 1200 miles. Shop replace gears and chain. When it was adjusted properly only had a few threads left. Shop discovered that there are 2 adjuster bolts. They had put the short bolt in. Changed to longer bolt and which solved the problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had similar problem this year with my 500zl. Reverse failed at 1200 miles. Shop replaced gears and chain. When it was adjusted properly only had a few threads left. Shop discovered that there are 2 adjuster bolts. They had put the short bolt in. Changed to longer bolt which solved the problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hotshot94,

Could you e-mail me direct?  I have a few questions I would like to ask you about your ZL situation....(what year is your ZL500 and what was the part# of the "longer bolt" that they installed for you?)  Please contact me direct at: [email protected]   Thanks!
-JPL

·
Registered
139 Posts
It is normal for the chain to stretch.  when I got my ZL 440 there was about a inch or more of thread. after 3000 miles that season it was down to a 1/4 inch of thread. I would check the gearing too be sure it is stock.  With only a couple of threads left I would replace it now so it is ready for next season.  Those couple of threads will probably only last you about 500 mi.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do agree that it is normal for the chain to stretch, but to the end of it's life in 1700 miles?  I have owned Polaris's(96,97,& 98), Yamaha(2000), and a Cat(2002) all from new and  all of witch had at least 2000 miles on them, a few of them close to 5000 miles and none of them even came close to running out of adjustment on the adjuster bolt.  I am not looking to cheap out and not replace it, if it remidies the situation and gives me a "generous" amount of adjustment when I am done, I have absolutely no problem spending the $ and the time replacing it, but I don't want to replace it and find that it will be exactly the same when I am done as it was before I started.  I'm just wondering if it was just this particular year/model of sled that this is normal on....

At this point, its about 50/50... some say that was just the way it was on that model, some say replace it, and 1 person says that there was a longer adjuster bolt that was available to replace the one that came on the sled....
-JPL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts