Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is looking at buy a 99 ZR 600, I had a chance to buy it last year after my ZRT burned up for $2500, But a bought a new Pro-X. It has 2500 miles, a new hood (rolled). It was used one season and parked the rest the time. The price is now $2000 the guy wants it gone (new truck). I know the price is right, I am going to look at it on sunday and wanted to know if these are good sleds from a mechanical stand point. I don't know if its carb or EFI, but any info on them or what to watch out for would really help.

·
Registered
376 Posts
In the new snow tech {page 56}they said the 99 ZR 600 was a good sled to buy used, just stay away from the 98's. The 99's had all the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Great sled that isn't anymore prone to breaking down than anything else out there. Down a little on power compared to the competitions 600's but will come to life with clutching. Good sled I've owned 2 '98s a carb and an EFI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
zr600, great sled!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good sled, rides nice!

Just keep an eye on the clutch. They had a recall on a bunch of 99's for clutch sheves breaking. Mine was not recalled but a week after I check it for the recall the spider in the primary clutch broke. Scared the #### out of me! Busted up the clutch guard bad. Good thing or it would have busted me up. I believe mine broke due to worn out bushing on the cams so it was really my fault for not checking them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
BTW fuel mileage is also poor. Try moving the e-clip. Mine went from 7 or 8 mpg into the teens with this simple adjustment. But have to keep an eye on the plugs to make sure your not running too lean.

·
Registered
362 Posts
call me stupid but whats an e-clilp?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My friend has a 99zr600le. Its got good power and has been reliable other then an odd problem that was just a fluke. You should be able to look up the serial numbers for the ones with bad clutches on here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Originally posted by Tattoo3235@Oct 15 2002, 07:27 PM
call me stupid but whats an e-clilp?
OK, the "E-Clip" that he is referring to is also known as the "C-Clip", it adjusts the mid range mixture for your flat slide Mikuni's. Unless you know what you are doing, and know what the repercussions are, I wouldn't touch it... Him and I worked on it over a few weekends trying different set ups and finally got it right..... but we worked from the rich side up. What I mean is we used the stock jets, adjusted the E / C Clip up, then changed the jets up one size at a time... what you DON"T want to do is jump the jet up two or three sizes then change that clip...otherwise POOF, time for a new motor......

I on the other hand am satisfied with changing the jets in my old ZL500 up two sizes, getting about 2-4mpg better mileage and still being a little rich in the midrange.....

Hope this helps

Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
Steve gets a little nervous about these kind of things. But he is right you have to experiment and keep an eye on things to do it without blowing up your sled. Here is a copy of a reply I made to another post:

Ok here is what I know about e-clip sometimes called c-clips:
(Use at your own risk!)

It's an internal part of your flat slide Mikuni carb that controlls mid-range fuel flow. It's to the mid range what the main jet is to high end. But since most riding is done in the mid range when you change jets you don't ever see much gain in mpg. At least I don't. Unless your wide open on the lakes all day. Now lets see if I remember how to adjust the e-clip:

1. No need to remove the carbs for this one. Just remove the top covers.

2. Then you need a small allen wrench (metric I think) to loosen the retaining arm that holds the jet needle in place. It's tight so be careful. Don't loosen it all the way, just enough to slide the arm out of the way.

3. Now you can pull the needle out with a pair of pliers. I believe the c-clip shoud be in the stock position 3 of the needle. See URL below for an image.

E-Clip

4. To lean out your mid-range simplly pull the clip out of position 3 and slide it into position 2. I wouldn't move it more than 1 position.

5. Re-assemble and test it out. What I do is get the sled warmed up and find an open field. Put a new set of plugs in and make a few runs down the field at mid throttle. Pull the plugs and see what you have got. If there tan you should be good to go. If they are still bright white your probably too lean.

6. If too lean then try a bigger main jet. If still too lean you better move the clip back or you'll risk blowin her up.

I ran my sled half of last season in position 2 and 2 main jets sizes smaller with no problems. Runs better than ever and I don't have to worry about finding a gas station all the time. Plugs are more on the white side than tan but I like to gamble. And I don't run WFO all day anyway, I like the trails. I'll probably go up one jet this season and see if I maintain my mileage, if not it's back to gambling. If she blows then she was ready to be re-built anyway!

Good luck!

- Jeff

·
Registered
884 Posts
Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 99's do not have Flat Slide Carbs in them. They are round Slides. It is a lot easier to tune your carbs when you have EGT's also, you can see a lot more while riding when you can look at your temps.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well I guess you were right! I didn't think they went to Flat Slides until 2000.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts