Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a buddy whose purchasing a 99 zr700...anything to beware of besides the recalls/service bulletins...check them out...anything else people ahd problems with???thanks guys-INDY

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I know with little modifications a 600 can easily take out a 700. The 99's only made 120hp if i am correct and i know they are easy to find if you want to buy a used one. Anyone who I knew who had one said "there not a fun trail sled"

·
Registered
757 Posts
there not a fun trail sled
I disagree. I had an older 700 that I loved and those that I know who have the '99-'00 700, like it also. It might not have the same power as the competition, but unless you're going to a race, who cares!
I think I remember reading that the clutching needed a little help and if he wants more power, that motor was originally designed for twin pipes. I don't know of any major problems or recalls with that motor (other than the bad rap for being old).

·
2,267 Posts
I have trail ridden one... I like the 600 much better and I think the 600 is more responsive in the twists. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I guess I would'nt argue that. I think the 700 gets blasted, undeservingly, more by those who don't know the motor, thinking that something that old can't be good.

·
2,267 Posts
I dont think theres anything really wrong with the motor. I think they could have pulled a few more ponies out of it. It still the same block that dominates cats lineup 550,580,700,800,900.. There good running engines... but the 800 has benefited the most in the CC to HP range.... just my 2 cents

A

·
0 Posts
I have a riding buddy that bought one new in 99 and sold it after the first ride. He said he couldn't touch the 600's and he was getting spanked all over the place.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a buddy that had a 99 Powder Extreme 700 (same engine as the ZR700).

He had nothing but problem after problem. From what I can remember (this is a few years back);

Clutch split.

Stator exploded.

Piston blew a ring.

Crank seized.

Now this is not to say that you will have problems with a ZR700, my buddy rides real aggresive and was always fiddling around with everything from suspension and clutching to jetting. He ended up selling it and bought a 2002 Mountain Cat 800 EFI, and even managed to blow the stator on that too. Just be carefull on what you buy, do a compression test on the engine, couldn't hurt to fork out a few bucks and have a dealership go over it.

newf

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot for all the info on the sled...ill let him know about some of these issues....keep it coming-INDY

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
A friend of mine had a 99zr700. He was a big guy about 6'5" and 250 or so. He liked it but said that clutching was horrible. They had trouble getting the engagement high enough was one problem I remeber. I think it could be a good sled but it needs some work if your really interested in performance. His wife is still riding it without any major work and it had about 5000 miles on it before last winter.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Now take some real info from a guy thats owned both a 99 and 2000.
The 99's out of the box are gas pigs with no power. Once the factory updates are done they perform much better with some increase in fuel mileage.
The 2000's are good out of the box with slightly better fuel mileage but better range due to the larger fuel tank.
If you take either sled, install a Goodwyn clutch kit, gut the air box and jet down as required it will perform as well as any similar year 700 from the competition with a decent gain in fuel mileage.
My 2000 ZR had several thousand miles on it (7000+) with no issues and performance equal to my brother in laws 98 or 99 XC-700.
I know many feel the 700 is a less than desireable sled but for those that know different it means they are a heck of a bargain.
Be sure to check that all the updates and clutch recall have been looked after.
Tell him to enjoy the sled.
Rick.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by ARCTICZRT600@Oct 8 2002, 08:01 PM
I have a riding buddy that bought one new in 99 and sold it after the first ride. He said he couldn't touch the 600's and he was getting spanked all over the place.
So I assume since it was the first ride that it wasn't even broken in yet? Seems like a premature decision to sell so soon. ??? I do agree though that they were nothing special in stock form as far a performance goes. They remind me of the Yammi Vipers, crap stock but very strong runners once properly set up. ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hes goin to buy the seld for 2800 w/low miles on it... notsure of exact #...what are the best mods he could do w/it ... he was already talkin about puttin pipes on it?? i havent found many for it yet...would a clutch kit be better investment??-INDY

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Make sure all update are done first. A clutch kit is always a good first investment. That, pipes, and studs will make a huge difference and he should be very happy with the sled.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I can sort of understand selling it after the first ride as they were nothing short of horrible. Mine fouled plugs constantly during the first few miles. AC was little or no help to the dealers as it was mid January before they even admitted a problem. By that time I had already jetted down and gone leaner on the needle which made it at least some what rideable. It was two or three weeks later that AC came out with clutching, jetting and needle changes. Huge improvement but AC recommended not riding at full throttle for any distance as it would likely burn down (no warranty-yes its true, I still have a copy of the original letter they sent to dealers). It took till the following season for them to correct the problem with an updated CD.
Its little wonder the 700 flopped, AC never gave it a chance with all their bumbling and failure to correct the calibration problems quickly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2000 ZL 700 that I bought new. It has over 4000 miles on it and there isn't a 600 that can touch it. I've raced ZR-6's and Mxz 6's. Stock Hp is only about 112-115 but the 600's of that era only put out about 105. I can run even with an older XC 700 but I do get beat start to finish by Mxz 7's. The '99's got a bad rap (deservedly) but the 2000's were dialed in much better. If I could do it over again I would buy it again. It has been super reliable and has more of a big block feel than the 600's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had one and it was a bit of a dog ,put some black magic twins on it and it turned it into a very good performer. That 700 was the best handling sled I ever owned, maybe because of the low front end.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I did a setup on a 1999 ZR700 and the guy brought it back and said it was a pig. I said it can't be!! Anyhow to make a long story short I started to check my work and got lucky. I was checking the ign. plug down by the r/hand rear eng. mount (as you sit on the sled) and noticed that the eng. mount was broken. I had it welded and what a differance. He kept calling me all winter reporting all his kills. Oh, and the exh. manifold (Y pipe) was smaller then the exh. ports on the eng. Grind them up.

Auggie

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2000 zr700le. They are under rated from factory to slip under the insurance rates. I clean up on many sleds, 600s, 700s, the only thing that I know could improve is the clutching, and a bit more throttle responce. But the low/mid/high takes up the slack... I am not saying that it is the fastest sled, just that it has been way under rated because numbers on a sheet of paper that Articat intentionally misled people with to under mind the insurance companies... IT IS A BARGAIN SLED!! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts