Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of the spider breaking apart on 99 ZR's. I think it's called a spider, I'm not a clutch savy person. I know they had a problem with sheves but I had called Cat and my sled wasn't recalled. We were just buzzin down the trails after about 3 feet of fresh snow, best ride of the year when all the sudden it sounded like a cannon when off, lost power and the RPMs were all screwed up. Scared the crap out of me! Pulled off the trail, popped open the hood and the clutch guard was blasted apart. My buddy spun the clutch around and found that 1/3 if the spider busted right off. We found the rest of it laying in the belly pan. Anyone know what might have caused this to happen? I drove it 10 mph 5000 RPMs to the nearest gas station (about 2 miles). Could I have gotten the crank out of balance by driving it? Any recommendation for fixing this? Is it a DIY job or will an expert have to tackle it. I know the sled was clutched but not sure if it was just a spring change or what. Previous owner didn't know much about sleds, he just rode it! The only other problem I had with the clutch was that the primary spring was broken when I bought it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  Jeff

·
Registered
403 Posts
If my mind serves me right, I thought just about all 99's had a primary clutch recall. They are all the same-the majority of the machines use the same clutch.

I would call back Cat and really drill them and call a dealer and ask them. Cat's customer service is often poor to say the least and they like to beat around the bush...so keep on them about it-don't give up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yes there is a recall go to the recall part. It say they are rcalling 11,500 1999 snowmobiles for faultly drive clutche due to the use of contanimated alloy during manufacturing.They can explode and injurey can happen though none has been reported.YA RIGHT.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read the Recall but it only talks about the sheaves breaking apart, nothing about any other components. I sure would like for Arctic Cat to pay for the repair. But I'm not convinced they will due to the clutch mods, heavier spring and cam arms!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I had an 99 ZR600 EFI and the spider broke and went thru the belly pan.........Cat will warranty it for sure.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to Cat and once again they claim that my sled is not affected by the clutch recall. They said bring it to a dealer and if they think  it's a defect/problem they can contact Arctic Cat for a possible repair authorization. But I don't think that will happen since it's out of warranty. But I'll bring it down this afternoon to see what the dealer says. Plus it's got a clutch kit installed. Any suggestions for aftermarket clutches?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Cat is generally good with warranty. How many miles on your unit?? And for sure put the stock clutch parts back in like hpzrt600 said.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cat wouldn't do anything for me! I took the clutch apart yesterday. That thing was really worn out. Weights were shot and the pins were ready to break. No wonder the spider broke the weights were pressing right on it. So I just went with the brand new clutch and weights since the dealer gave me a decent price. I guess I'll start keeping an eye on my clutches. Better overhaul the ZL while I'm at it. Get ready for next season!!!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts