Snowmobile World banner

99 zr600

8K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  zr600zl500 
#1 ·
My wife has a stock 99 ZR600 (factory jetting) that gets very poor gas mileage(6-7 mpg). I've read on other forums that the combination of re-jetting, clutch adjustments and addition of "Tempa-Flow" unit could possibly bump this up to 10-12 mpg range. My question is what size jets should be installed and what type of clutch adjustments would affect fuel economy? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I've got the same problem. Just picked up a 99 ZR 600 with 1500 miles on it. The guy warned me it sucked down gas but I never expected it to be this bad. After 50 miles this weekend I had to stop for gas. Good thing I kept an eye on the guage or I would have been stranded in the woods.

Can anyone help us out? The sled is clutched (orange primary, red secondary) and has V-force reeds. I've got to check the plugs, if there black I'm going to drop a couple jet sizes. What gains will I get per jet size? What else can I do? We like to ride well over 100 miles a day and I don't what to have to plan our trips around gas stations.

Thanks!

#5 ·
I had a 99 ZR 600 EFI and it was a major gas pig. Who said efi's were more efficent. To bad so sad for me, I couldn't jet it down to try and stretch a few more miles out of the tank. Horrible fuel milage on the 99 600's. That was one of the main reasons for me getting rid of mine.

#6 ·
Ok, I'm going to take out the stock 350 jets and replace them with 330's. Assuming that I find stock jets when I take it apart. If I can find snow this weekend I'll let you know how I make out. Let's hope for 10 mpg!!! While I'm at it I'll take the stock 360's out of my wifes ZL and replace them with the 350's from the ZR. Was getting 9 mpg before and hope to bring it up to 10 as well.

#8 ·
Well, I just fixed a gas hog. 1997 ZRT800. The water traps on the bottom of the float bowls (two of them) were rotted through. Unreal !! I didn't think that plastic gasline would do that. He hasn't been able to try the sled because it's raining in the middle of FEB.

Auggie

#12 ·
Found snow, and bumped my mileage up to 7 MPG by turning the adjustment needle in a 1/4 turn. Sled still running rich though, tempted to turn it in another 1/4, any suggestions? Looking for at least 9 MPG. Not sure if I'm going to get there. Maybe the only way will be to buy a new sled.

#13 ·
Have you taken a look at your needles?  I messed with mine 2 weeks ago when it was 10 degrees out.  I moved the E-Clip down one groove and the thing turned into a PIG.  Moved it back to where it was before and got the mileage back to where it used to be.  I have EGT's on my sled and it was very easy to tell that I was Fat because of the Temp's I was getting.  Try leaning out your mid range by lowering the E-Clip one spot.  It should be located in the center slot out of the box.  If you are just riding trails all the time and mostly on the Needle Jet, then you are lible to be extremely rich in the mid range.  God Luck!

#14 ·
There has got to be a good combination of changes that make these 99 600 carbed engines run strong and get good gas mileage. There is enough of us that we should be able to figure this out with out spending a ton of money.
I've got a 99 ZL 600 carb. I've lowered the the jet size by two, I have  a heart throb clutch kit on it that I recently modified by  changing the weights and primary spring so that when I'm off the gas and at cruising speed the RPM's are lower. (suggested by BM after I asked them for help) This seems to have helped but not enough. I can't help but feel that there is some type of carb adjustment that would also help, but no one will tell us because they don't want to be liable for a possible melt down. Does anyone have a good carb adjustment that has been tested? Also I here about changing the gearing, anyone have a good gearing set up that helps mileage with out killing performance? Do carbon fiber reeds help? Crap! There has got to be is an easy fix. Speak up if you have a good set up. Thanks

#16 ·
Johnny Torque,

Since it was 65 out yesterday I took the plunge and moved the e-clip up to position 2 on the jet needle from the stock 3 position. It's snowing now so I should be able to test it tomorrow. Hopefully the plugs will turn tan and I'll be able to run this setup this weekend. I'll post again Sunday to let you know how I make out. Not sure what gains I will get but hopefully they will be noticable. I'm running 330 main jets, e-clip position 2, clutch kit, and V-force reeds. Not sure what else I can change, if anyone has suggestions please post! Please, please, please!!!

#17 ·
Shoulda bought an EFI ZR600.... LOL... J / K......

One other thing to consider is the temperature this weekend, if its warm and the plugs are tan, then be careful when it dips down cooler.... don't go WFO across any fields or lakes for a long time..... otherwise you'll have "PUFF the Blown snowmobile motor"  

You'll be safe if they are a little on the dark side.....

Hmm...Speaking of the "Dark Side" I've always wondered if carb tuning was something only a Jedi Master could figure out....  

#18 ·
Zl600Zl500 Let me know how you make out and we can compare notes. Also did you see a performance diff with the V force reeds? Any mileage gain or loss? Have you ever concidered gear changes? You know, I can't say that I have ever had nice set of tan plugs since I bought this sled new. It has always seemed fat on the lower end. It's ironic my wife has a 98Zl500. Her sled runs crisp and gets better mileage. Not sure how much better. But less gas at the pump. I did lower her engagement rpm from stock which may have helped. Good Luck & keep in contact. Thanks

#19 ·
Setting the E-clip to position 2 did the trick! Got 10 MPG this past weekend. That's a gain of more than 3 MPG. I think I'm going to go up to 340 mains though. Plug reading seemed to show that I might have been running a little on the lean side. Sled ran great with a lot more power, until I popped a brake line, had to slow down after that. 25 miles without brakes made for an interesting ride back to the truck.

#20 ·
Looks like I might not be lean in the mid-range. After a 50 mile run ending with 20 miles of trail riding my plugs were more toward the black than tan. Which is what I would expect with it being 40+ degrees out. However my top end worries me a little since after drag racing the plugs were almost white. So I'll be putting in 340 mains this week. Hopefully I won't sacrafice much mileage, lets hope it stays up around 9.5 MPG. I can live with that!

340's, e-clip position 2 is what I suggest! $6 fix! But what do I know I'm just a computer scientist  
It seems to be working for me so I'll run it till she pops  :!!:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.