Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info.

Took apart my primary today, noticed that cam arm pins were wore over halfway through. took out weights and it turns out they are all screwed up too. Dont know how they got that way, had new ones in last year and only put on 700 miles...

'A-20' is stamped on the weights. What weight are these?

Also, could this be what is causing my over-rev, lack-of-top-end problem (see earlier post) or is it more than this?

·
Registered
85 Posts
A-20 is a Comet weight, Arctic No. 646-124 (49.2 Grams)  I believe stock weights are 49.5 grams, A-25 or 646-164.  These are notched, which raises engagement RPM.

·
Registered
190 Posts
make sur the weights are freely moving on the spyder rollers. And if the pins are damaged check the spyder for damage(the worn pins cause the weights to move and cut the spyder.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the spider, everythings good. I had a set of A-52 clutch weights in the shop so i put them in until i can get a new complete clutch kit. What weight are these and how will they compare to the A-20 weights?

·
Registered
85 Posts
A-52's are 52.5 grams and similar in profile.  It's about the same weight as I would go to with a stiffer spring in the primary if I had your sled.  Try the yellow/green cat or comet spring and adjust your secondary to get it to run at 8500 rpm.  If it is too low you need to back off on your helix angle a couple of degrees.  It may even pull harder at 8200-8300 RPM.  You can replace the bushings in the arms if that is all that's wrong with them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now i am running the purple/white spring in the primary. Its engaging at a sky-high 5500 RPM. Which i really dont mind, when it comes to racing the sled in the drags. but i also do buttloads of trailriding and the clutch is a little steep for the trails, but i make do with what i have, being that taking the clutch apart all the time (without the right tools) isnt what i would want to do. So, as far as my clutching goes, heres the whole shabang now

Primary Spring: Purple/White
Cam Arms: A-52 (52.5g)--thanks 4 the info
Secondary Spring: Yellow
Helix: 53-55 degree
Belt: Dayco Ultimax 2

Any changes need to be made here or am i good to go? Havent got a chance to get it out on the river to top it out and check things yet, maybe this weekend. Any more suggestions? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
That should be close.  You may need to go to a shallower helix if you cant get your rpm's high enough.  I would try it and see where you are at first.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so i had it out on the river today. Still 9500 rpm and will not go over 90 MPH. got stomped by ZL 500 with reeds and a pipe. What the hell. Took out the secondary, tried the spring in every hole, still no difference. so what the heck is going on here? Helix? i'm out of ideas. I cant take losing. HELP!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, going out to the river in about an hour... any quick help would be great!

·
Registered
85 Posts
It sounds to me like your secondary is sticking and can't shift up fast enough.  Every hole you loosen the spring should lower the shift RPM by 150-200.  You should be runnig about 8500.  Going to a steeper helix angle will lower your shift RPM, and so will adding more weight to the arms.  I am not fimiliar with the spring you are running, but 5500 is really high.  If you can find a yellow/green Cat spring try it.  It will lower your engagement to 5000 or a little less.  This will help lower you shift RPM some too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts