Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking, with all these wildfires going on and creating so much smoke, maybe it will cool off the planet and we''ll have a colder snowier winter this year!?!?
Just wishful thinking.
I need snow! It''s too hot outside!

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I bet all the extremist greenies are wishing there was some clearing in those big forests that are burning then maybe it would not be as bad.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Nah, they'll just blame it all on global warming, just like every thing else.  

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't think it can get any worse than it did last year. We had about 1/2 the snow of a usual winter..50" or so..all no more than 2" at a time,then it would warm up and melt. At least I can always drive to Tug Hill where they always get snow,here it depends on which way the wind blows across Lake Ontario.

·
Registered
959 Posts
 yeah i know what you mean the biggeest snowfall we got was uhh 6 inches normally they are some of the small ones

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Well, we all gotta pray to the snow gods, make the appropriate sacrifices that they require, and all leave our freezers and refrigerators open from here on out.  

I am hoping for a real winter this year as well.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
if you predict the weather anymore than 3 days ahead around this part of the country then you haven't lived here long or you are just plain lack of brains. if you don't like the weather here just wait 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hate to say it greenstreak, but if the smoke would have any effect on the winter, it just might make it worse by acting like insulation by maintaining heat and not allowing the cold air to move in like it should.  Not a happy thought, just my $.02.

A

·
0 Posts
If this current heat wave is any indication, it will be a warmer winter.  This stinks.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The latest news from the "Experts" around here is there is another El Ninio event taking shape.  If that's true, it doesn't look good for MN.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I have to agree with Paul
For the most part the forecasting around southern Ontario is hit or miss. I don't think they knew those big storms were going to hit Toronto a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Actually this recent heat wave is good...well maybe. The warmer the great lakes get the longer they stay open and thus the potential for lake effect snow. That is taking that it cools down enough for it to snow and you live or ride in an area that gets lake efect snow. They said this week that it was the second hotest July on record in Toronto .

·
Registered
39 Posts
When Mount St. Helens in Wa. blew, the next 2 winters were the toughest in history. With so many fires this year, it may get colder and wetter. They have no Idea how El Ninio actually affects us long term because they just discovered that phenominom in the last 5 years. Remember "The year that summer never came" Ben Franklin noted it. He is concidered the first true meterologist in history. There was a volcano that year.

·
Registered
310 Posts
well actually i read that the more particles in the air you will get more snow fall.  it was in the paper one day but i cant remember exactly what was said.  last year there was a lack of particles in the air from no forest fires, and few volcanoes.  the more volcanoes and forest fires  we have the better snowfall.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The volcano theory is true, it's happened all over the world colder winters from volcanic ash insulating us from heat from the sun, so forest fires could play a roll, as far as El ninio it's supposed to be a mild one compared to the last one in '98.

·
Registered
310 Posts
yes but if you live on the east coast, (northeast)  there is more east coast winter storms because of el nino, even tho its not going to be as strong as the 98 one.  in 98 with el nino we had a big ### ice storm, so with a more milder one we will probably have more snow.  el nino does heat up the average winter temp by about 2 or 3 degrees, but its still around 29.  2 years are never the same.  and it cant be much worse then what we had, but knowing maine we wont get any this year.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
In June of '91, Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the Phillipines & put a lot of ash into the atmosphere. I had a good season after that but I think it was because I was laid off a lot  

Anyone have any records for 91/92?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts