Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i`m thinking of putting the a.d. boivin kit on my 2000 mach z. had anyone used one of these kits on a sc10? how much will it improve my ride? thanks

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Night and day diffrence Mike.

You will get a big improvment on stutter bumbs and you will fall in love with your sled all over.

Many claim that putting this kit on will give you a better ride then the SC-102 supention.  

Its worth every penny.

·
Registered
171 Posts
have one on my 99 MX6 and it works fine.  you may find that the suspension is a bit stiffer afterwards due to the coupling.  good luck.

·
Registered
668 Posts
worth the money!  In my experience, my suspension never got stiffer... however, the ride became allot easier on your back.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The biggest thing I noticed is that it stopped the Ski-Lift almost completely on my 98 FIII, The sled will appear to sit a little lower in the rear after installation, but all in all it was worth the money!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had one on a 98 mxz 500 and it worked good.  When I sold the sled I took it off and put it on the 99 mxz 600 I bought.  It didn't seem to work as well on the 99.  I then took it off, disasembled my acm and got a threaded rod (grade 5 I think, 0.5 inch diameter) and had the end machined and rethreaded to screw back into the aluminum conector that holds it to the rear arm.  This way I put a nut on the back side of the acm as well as have one on the front side as they are originally.  This is doing the same as the A D Boivin kit which is to limit the rear arm from straighting out when the front arm contacts a bump, plus it is fully adjustable and much cheaper (around $20 for the machine work).  Works good in the stutter bumps, but I think I need to get the rear shocks rebuilt because the sled has 4600 miles and I don't think they have ever been done.  There were a couple of other small modifications I did, but if you are interested let me know and I will try to explain them to you.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It's the best add on to my sled, the susp. is a lot smother and tail landings don't bottom anymore. People who drive my sled can't believe the difference in washboard, it just dosn't exist anymore.

·
Registered
373 Posts
On my F3 it helped for aggressive trail riding, for long days just cruising you will get a much plushier ride without it, you will also do better drag racing without it due to more weight transfer, I put better shocks on my sled and took the kit out and I think I like it better, you can fine tune your suspension much more without it, I might even sell the kit if you want a used one.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Bartman, have you tried to adjust the ACM nut?  When I unscrew my ACM nut, the weight transfer is the same as before the kit.

·
Registered
373 Posts
AC, no I didn't loosen the ACM with the kit installed, I have heard of guys doing that but the instructions that came with the kit recommend keeping the ACM tight, it also recommended keeping the center shock setting in the softest position which at times gave me to much ski pressure, I suppose you could safely play around with it but I chose to keep it at the recommended settings.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Oh, that may explain why you didn't get very good results. I've changed everything from the setting of AD, boivin. Limiter strap tightened at max, all springs at max, even my rear ones that are rated for 380 pounds (I ride in the rough stuff).  For drag, I loosen my rear springs and ACM nut, nearly flips the sled !!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think I was a little gun shy, when I first installed the ETS kit I broke a rear suspension spring after 50 miles, I'm pretty sure now that the kit had nothing to do with it, but I have never broken springs before and you just have to wonder,

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does this kit work on a 96 MXz 583?  Whats it worth?  I want to get a REV for myself next year, but want to keep this sled for the wife to ride.  Would this make it easier to handle going over bumps etc?  I have already put on some plastic skies and that made a huge difference for the steering effort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed this kit last year on my 99mxz500. It was a big improvement in over all ride quality. It was pretty straightfoward in terms of installation. The only problem that I had were the bolts from the upper skid that you have to remove came out on one side. The other bolt snapped in half. While ordering a new shaft and bolts, it appears that Skidoo wants you to apply #271 loctite on the bolts. No where in the instructions does it state to use "screw glue". I just assume that when there are lock washers used why use the loctite? I found out the hard way. Use the loctite when you reassemble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts