Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may wonder why fan-cooled machines have the following they do, in some places especially. The pics which follow describe some of those conditions which make the fan ideal - and sometimes the only rig to use.

3+ miles to cross over (but only 14 feet deep)

"Good trails" are sometimes simply any form of frozen water.

Sea ice allow plenty of trails.

Riding means working and work means good help is useful.

A load

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

RMK.....a.k.a.: WOW: Walks on Water, a.k.a.: TMW: Tows More Weight (than itself) - on hard level ice, that is easy.

RMK: Really Made for the Kill

Out for fun; on a river here

An easy load

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Great post! Thanxs for the pics and a different perspective on sledding.

Permafrost

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
yes unreal pictures make me want to go back to the north.....

Rick

·
Registered
252 Posts
great pics.i can see a snowmobile is a very important part of life there. i'm curious doo you go through alot of sliders? thanks for sharing that was awesome!!!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Studs? Yes, that RMK has 24, the SS 48 (the SS really has great traction! :p I've never figured out why some folks use close to 200 studs. Of course we don't drive 80 mph nor is a 550 cc fan even close to the power of an 800 cc LC!)

Sliders? Sliders last a long time if you take care not to get them hot. It's funny, you don't need a lot of snow to cool the plastic but speed and track tension (as well as wind) can be big factors in them heating or not. Heat is actually a bigger concern for the track as heating the rods weakens them. You need to ride with your nose - melting plastic has a smell. Of course, it can also be felt in power loss, too. That SS has 6000 miles - I don't remember changing the slides but I may have - once. The RMK in the pics, with 20K+ miles is on its 4th set, I think- (second set of wear rods, third clutch, .....the gas I've burned in it has cost a lot more than the machine itself.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
that is very interesting to see the difference in landscape.around here we are all complaining there is not enough snow when there is a foot on the ground.i guees we should all take lessons from you,as you have just proven lol. very very cool,i wanna go there.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow are those pic,s from this year.? not much snow[/b]
Many from the weekend. The last weekend in January we were cruising in the rivers in snow so deep it made keeping the machines upright difficult. Then there was a week of warm wind...... :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts