Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Hornpayne for a few days last week and managed to get a few days of riding in. Conditions were pretty good. Trails mostly smooth and well groomed. Off trail was a little sketchy as there wasn't much base. The lakes and rivers were awesome. Did the run down the Shekak river from Larkin Lake. Beautiful!

The temps were cold, between -19 and -29, not including windchill, and there was a lot of wind, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Can you believe the first pic? 50kph! What a joke!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Nice pix Newf.. glad your not waiting around for the snow to come to North Bay.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pix Newf.. glad your not waiting around for the snow to come to North Bay.[/b]
165 miles around North Bay today, but I have to say I'm a little frustrated with everything to do with snowmobiling. The lack of snow around North Bay is shocking, I just can't get used to it. December conditions in the beginning of Febuary, and now it seems that we've hit late March conditions already. One weekend of above zero temps and the trails would be toast. Finished for the season. Depressing.

Then, head out towards Restoule and the snow really improves. But the South SHore club has yet to start up their groomer. What the hel!! Everywhere else has been struggling due to a lack of snow, but the clubs are making an effort to groom and make the trails passable. Then you go to a place, nearby, that has snow, and they haven't gotten around to grooming their trails in mid-febuary. I don't get it.

The good news. Nipissing is gorgeous. Nice and flat, very few pressure cracks, no slush except in some of the bays, lots of packed, marked trails that make for some good high speed running. And on a beautiful sunny day like today I was tempted to just stay on the lake.

Attachments

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Glad to see you're gettings some miles in on the new ride Newf, how do you like it so far???

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Cory,
Yeah, getting lots of miles on, despite the miserable conditions this year. Thank God the thing is made for the rough stuff cause smooth trails are rare indeed this year.

So far, I have to say that I really really really like my new machine. Much easier to say what I don't like about it as that's a pretty short list.
Hard on fuel. No better then my Liberty 800 was.
No tool box. I hate not having wrenches with me.
Not much luggage space. I need to figure something out, probably involving moving the taillight and putting something on the tunnel behind the seat.
Oil capacity is too small. Two tanks of gas and the light is flashing.

As for power, responsiveness, handling, ride, ergo's fit and finish, suspension, everything else, it's awesome and I love it. Certainly, considering the low snow conditions this year I can't imagine a better choice of sled. I had thought of getting an RMK, and am I ever glad I didn't. This year it's all about the suspension, and there's no such thing as not enough track.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Newf did you drive (in your truck) from NB to Horpayne? If so how long did it take? I am thinking of going there this week. I usually leave from my place in Sarnia which is across the river from Port Huron Michigan. But a couple of friends are in Dorset this week so I may go there first for a few days and then leave from there. Normally from my place it takes 9 hours to get to Wawa. We tour from there. I was just wondering if it is worth heading to Dorset for a couple of days first.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did take the truck, and it's 8 hours drive from North Bay.
I've no idea where Dorset is, but I can tell you that from Sault Saint Marie north it looks like very good riding. Not quite as much snow further north, but Hornpayne was totally do-able, and fun too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts