Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Firecat GSX-R?
Posted 29-10-2002 08:22

As we speculated in the pages of Snow Goer Canada, Arctic Cat appears ready to unveil a new four-stroke performance sled powered by the engine from the acclaimed Suzuki GSX-R 1000 motorcycle. We may even see the Gixxer motor in a Firecat-style chassis.

Expect to see the new Cat sooner rather than later.

With the Yamaha RX-1 showing that a litre-size inline-four bike engine can work in a sled, the Cat GSX-R is a natural. The big Suzuki mill (see photo) is at least as light as the Yamaha engine, and with the Firecat chassis no doubt weighing significantly less than the RX-1 frame, the Cat four-stroke could address a main issue with the Yamaha: excessive weight. Also, if anyone can make a front-heavy sled corner flat, it's Cat.

·
Registered
259 Posts
No one can deny that cat makes a good handling machine but is was it because of the A-arm front end? As far as the weight issue goes from what I understand that is what the problem is going to be. I am not entirely sure about this but from what I hear the R-1 engine is extremely light and that the competition doesn't come close when it comes to motor weight. All my biker friends are saying thats what puts the R-1 ahead is its weight. As far as the firecat chassis goes...I am not sure if they will be able to drop that motor in that chassis. I am guessing it will require a whole new design. Don't forget that yamaha had to do a lot to accomodate the extra torque of the four stroke also. I don't think it will be anything close to what arctic cat has out now...it will be a whole new design from the chassis up.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
:withstupid: cant see them putting a gsxr in a firecat,they would have to design a new chasis from the ground up

·
Registered
516 Posts
well i'll look forward in seeing how it'll be done and perform. hehehe

A

·
0 Posts
I highly doubt that the F chassis could hold the gsxr powerplant's power. :hallo3:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Maybe Cat already designed some added strength into that chassis. I mean its more of a torque issue than a HP issue. The 700 puts out 140 hp. How much hp does the GSXR1000 put out. I went to the suzuki web site with no luck of a hp rating.

·
Registered
678 Posts
F chassis with a 1000cc tripple 2 stroke, now that would be a kick butt sled! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
let me start out by saying that i don't really know alot about motorcycles. but that being said, i happen to have a chart here that shows the yamaha yzf-r1 making 129hp at the rear wheel, and weiging in at 451lbs wet. the suzuki gsx-r1000 makes 139hp at the wheel, and weighs 435lbs wet. based on that data i would not guess that the r1 engine is much lighter than the gsx-r engine, in fact it is likely heavier. the gsx-r bike has the best power to weight ratio of any sportbike on the market according to "motorcycle consumer news - may 2002"

sounds like cat could field a stong hi-perf 4 stroker.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The R-1 is heavier but there are parts other than the engine that make a bike heavy. Thats why I stressed that I was referring to motor weight. Although I can't say that my sources are accurate, but then again, can we really believe anything we read either.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Your all wrong its going to be an F2 FireKitty, with 20HP and a sno-mini-pro suspension... dont you guys read anything hhehehehe :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts