Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father had a A Frame Safari and it was the last Ski-doo he bought. The first day he rode it, he seized a cylinder. The dealer took the carbs apart and the offending carb had black plastic shavings in it from drilling the holes in the gas tank. Later on  the CDI box died and then the secondary crapped out. Also he found it to be very unstable.

My brother & I (he's a Ski-doo rider too) sent him to the Polaris dealer show with a tape measure and a couple  measurements to check: seat height, ski stance that I remember. We knew that the Safari was coming back the next season unchanged. The seat on the Polaris was lower and the ski stance was wider, so we told him it would be a more stable sled. He never had a handling problem with it.

Anybody out there have bad luck with the Safaris?

·
Registered
858 Posts
My first sled was a safari cheyenne. After 11 000 KM's of boondocking (see in general section if you don't understand) and log pulling im still wating for the first major brake. I changed the belt for the second time since I have it this year and plan on cleaning clutch for the first time this summer. The 503 engine is bulletprof, It's been in the worst conditions doing the harshest jobs (pulling logs when it's 12 C outside) and it still starts first pull. The only real complaint is the susp. I went through 2 shocks and had to weld 2 more springs in the rear because it was too soft. This sled has worst susp. and handling than any sleds I drove, even 71 nordic, but it keeps on going and for work and backroads it's the most important thing.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is it? The Cheyenne name sounds familiar. I remember the last couple of years the A frames were green with a black "hood scoop" on them.

The thing was so tippy, you would think it would roll on it's side crossing a paved road  

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a '91 Safari LCE. It had the 467cc liquid engine, single carb. Fuel was great. Speed was non-exsistent about 120km/hr tops. Ran the unit hard at times and when I sold it there were 13000+ kms on it. The engine still had over 180psi compression. And yes the guage was accurate. It was tippy, rough ride and very heavy. My biggest cause of greif on the machine was the secondary clutch helix. Its held in place with a pin that wears out in the helix. I had to change the helix a few times but the last one had a steel insert for the pin to seat into rather than aluminum like the others did. Has regards to dependability that machine was awesome. I've had problems with other Ski-Doo's since the Safari but it is because of the Safari I am sticking, so far, with Ski-Doo in hopes of some day finding another that will match it.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I had a '86 Safari 377 fanner.All I did was put gas in it.Most dependable sled I ever had.A couple belts and some fuel lines is all I had to put into it.But it was a balless wonder.

Tippy also.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Revrn, it's a 89 with longtrack and reverse.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that you mention the roll pin, I remember my father saying that it broke and messed things up. His main complaint was it's tippiness.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yea, those sleds were dangerous, You could never know if the people driving were drunk or not  

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had an 87 safari 377, I didn't start driving it till I was 12, then it started breaking, lol. but the years before that it was very reliable untill then, lol, it was very tippy and the suspension sucked, I never blew a piston, but my helix twice, the machine is deceased now, lol. Once on our river I was gonna go into some deep snow so I picked up some speed and I thought I was gonna sink in, it was hard snow that I hit and I was send flying pretty far untill I nosedived into another hill of deep snow, myself I landed on the hood, it looked like I was trying to do the motocross trick the kiss of death, lol. I would have loved to have one of my friends filming that, lol

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
One of my buddies call them "Sorries."  He's a cat rider though?!?!?!?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts