Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been hoping to get some answers to some questions I've been having for a long time!

First off, I just recently moved to the James Bay area (up in Moose Factory) where the snow and the trails are great! We recently purchased a used 2001 Ski Doo Formula Deluxe 600 machine. We have a few questions.

1. Occasionally, when the engine starts, the key light starts flashing and I have to turn off the engine and pull out the key and restart. What is the cause for this?

2. What is the typical gas-consumption of a 600 engine? I am currently getting about 65 km for 20L (half the tank)

3. What is the normal RPM's when travelling around? I find that it's already at 5,000 RPM when just going 40km/h, and when I am going fast like 80km/h it's hitting about 6,000RPM plus

4. What is the ideal idle RPM (at startup and after coasting and coming to a stop?)

5. Whenever my engine is turned off for several minutes, and I start the engine back up again (at closed choke) the engine makes a big "POW"!!! sound. It freaks me out a bit. Wondering if this is normal.

Thanks for all the input... just getting into this fun sport!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hello all. I've been hoping to get some answers to some questions I've been having for a long time!

First off, I just recently moved to the James Bay area (up in Moose Factory) where the snow and the trails are great! We recently purchased a used 2001 Ski Doo Formula Deluxe 600 machine. We have a few questions.

1. Occasionally, when the engine starts, the key light starts flashing and I have to turn off the engine and pull out the key and restart. What is the cause for this?

1) The DESS (Digitally Encoded Security System) tether plug needs to have the plug and cap cleaned with alcohol. Check the condition inside the cap for corrosion or cracking. Replace the cap if in doubt.

2. What is the typical gas-consumption of a 600 engine? I am currently getting about 65 km for 20L (half the tank)

2) 130 Km per tank is about correct for that sled considering the average mean temperature for James Bay. The sled will use more fuel in the extreme cold due to viscous drag(Chain case oil and bearing grease) and track stiffness. Replacing the chain oil with synthetic and switching all chassis and bearing grease to low temp synthetic will help fuel economy.

3. What is the normal RPM's when travelling around? I find that it's already at 5,000 RPM when just going 40km/h, and when I am going fast like 80km/h it's hitting about 6,000RPM plus

3) The RPMs you mention are normal for a CVT (Conntinuously Varaible Transmission). The clutches allow the engine to develope peak torque out put and multiply it into sled speed. Feedback from the track, rider weight and snow load govern how the system reacts. The only input you need is to make sure the drive belt is in good order and it's tension is according to manual specs. In extreme cold, it's a good ideal to bring the belt inside to avoid it becoming too stiff and burning on initial launch. NOTE ** always carry a spare belt !!!

4. What is the ideal idle RPM (at startup and after coasting and coming to a stop?)

4) 1800 ~ 2000 RPM

5. Whenever my engine is turned off for several minutes, and I start the engine back up again (at closed choke) the engine makes a big "POW"!!! sound. It freaks me out a bit. Wondering if this is normal.

5) Check the spark plug Protector caps for carbon build up inside. Blow it out and put dielectric grease in them to omit oxygen and arcing. Replace spark plugs with solid terminal models. Usually sleds backfire after a long high speed run after you switch them off due to some unburned gases in the muffler. Check the contacts in your kill switch and ignition switch (if equipped)

Thanks for all the input... just getting into this fun sport![/b]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts