Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '94 Mach Z that's provided me tons of fun and miles of
smiles, generally w/out having to stare at anybody in front of me

It's been a great sled as I've maintained it the best I could, w/in my rather sparse technical abilities.  Problem is she's just getting a bit old.  I did a compression check w/two cylinders checking in about 110 and the third registering about 90.

My question is should I simply look at replacing the rings, or should I blow the full wad and have the cylinder worked on w/new rings, pistons and god knows what else.

Any other suggestions on what problems I might encounter (engine wise) with a sled that's got in excess of 8000 miles on it?

w/the price of new sleds,  a growing family, and a more conservative riding style, I'm not sure I want to spend the coins to get a new/er sled.  I've got one, it runs and it's paid for.  I'd like to keep it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Take the head of the motor to expose the pistons.  Run your finger around the cylinder walls if they are scuffed then you have to get it machined but if they are still smooth all you need to do is replace the rings, or piston and rings depending on what you think.  But for a 94 i would just go with rings.  This is a very easy job.

·
Registered
756 Posts
8000mi. I would do pistons, rings, hone cyls. this would be a good start. At this milage I would recomend replacing the crank seals also. They are not expensive just time consuming to do.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
MackZee, Take your cly's, and piston to a machine engine shop and have the piston's and cly's measured to see if they are still in spec, at 8000mi I would thing that the pistons are ready for replacment.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Machzee, contact Bill Cudney on the web at Cudney racing. He can tell you what you need. Also, I think he will probably say new pistons and rings as a minimum. Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts