Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Aaen makes very good pipes, but they are typically very picky and hard to tune in. They are most usually right on the edge, but when they work, they work. Cousin has a set on his 00 700MXZ and it runs 147 HP on the dyno (with shim kit/ polar head). Tugboat used to have some when he had his 800, was running 125+ on radar. I now have a set, and unfortuanately to the very abrupt end to the season, I only got 1 weekend to tune them in. They run 8400RPM, but are effecctive thus far. Top end was very good, just have to mess with the gearing/ clutching some to get some of the holeshot back.

Like any other pipes, they sacrifice some bottom end, but this can be overcome with proper calibration.

·
Registered
530 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (800MXZ @ April 19, 2002, 08:13am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tugboat used to have some when he had his 800, was running 125+ on radar.[/b][/quote]
Just so no one actually fall for this story about 125mph with the Aean twins, I was with the Tug when he was doing radar runs with these pipes, I can tell you he was No where close to 125mph. The actual speeds where 113mph to 116mph,
(121.7mph with stock pipe)
The pipes made clutching very difficult, and Aeans set up was no where near close.
After Dyno testing stock and Aeans twins, the Aeans made a wopping 2 more HP at 8300rpm.
They may work on the 700 as you said, but on the 800.....Save your money.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2hp,was it on a stock motor? twinnpipes will not work without higher compression,and somtimes porting.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I thought theses engines made there top hp in the 7700-7850rpm range.That is the figure i've been clutching for and have been finding it works great but it's just hard to find a sec. spring that i can get consistent workings from.
Here in ontario they are getting pretty picky about aftermarket exhaust on sleds and aren't afraid to fine ya

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Well, with them on my sled, and since I am not trying to sell them, I gained allot of top end. I am not using Olav's clutching or Cudney's. There is a guy on my lake with 2001 TCat and I could get em' bad out of the hole, but he was top-ending me. I switched to the pipes, and we are almost dead even. It was taking him a very long time to catch me, well over a mile.

They are finicky, and I had some tinkering just to find a base jetting, clutching. It isn't 100%, but things were shaping up quite nicely. I believe that the gains come from being able to move the peak power up 400RPM. Makes it easier to clutch, and easier to get some top end.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That is good to hear 800mxz as the finicky top end is the only thing i don't like about these sleds.You dooing any grass drags with it this summer or have ya packed it in till the fall?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have a couple of grass drags that I will go to, but no big time racing though.

One note, the pipes are rather quiet, for twins at least.

·
Registered
172 Posts
do not expect to make too much HP with a 800 doo twin.   even with porting, pipes and shaving the head, the doo 800's only gain a little over a stock sled.   and poorly clutched the stock sled will sometimes beat it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Well I will be able to verify as soon as the ice comes back. With the single on, I was very competative, with a couple of runs in the 7.0s, but I will not do anything to go backwards. I got the pipes used, so I do not have allot into them.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
There has been some succes on the Doo twin ovet this winter though, things are finally starting to show that work.

Friend has 01 800, ported, Dynoport singe, and pulls 158HP @ 8100 and 98 ft lbs.

Air is big on this motor, not neccasaraly allot of it, but putting it where it needs it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
1000 IMP, I am making enough hp with my 01 MXZ 800 twin to spank a zr 900 in a 1000 ft. Obviously its not stock but i never play fair anyway. I am very pleased with my 155 hp twin.

·
Registered
172 Posts
speed is everything - those are nice power numbers, but i wouldn't expect much if anything else out of your engine.    what sort of set-up are you running btw?         how much were you beating that cat by in a 1000 feet?(i am not much of a fan of 1000 ft drags)     the HP numbers on that cat are prolly 150-152 right(i am guessing)?    
nowadays hardly anyone plays fair in drag racing, thats why don't bother with stock classes much(going to try 700 with a F7 next year though).  
do you run your sled on grass or just keeping it a trail machine?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
He actually ported the sled himself. Emphasis was placed under the cylinders more than the jugs them self. I was just as shocked as anyone where it pulled off that number on the dyno. (158HP)

DPort claims 153+ is easy with porting and bored carbs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts