Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am thinking of extending one of my 4 stroke cats out to 144 maybe even 151. I have two and they are already 136 units, so I need longer lugs and more track since I do lots of off trail and these sleds are often along and are the hold back when we do get out.

So, I believe I understand track pitch....distance between windows on the track matching the driver with 2.51 being the norm, but lots of push to go to 3 inches, and anti-ratchet drivers.

Why go bigger other than easier to roll the track? Wouldn't doing that close down the distance between the heat exchanger and the track leaving me with less room to put a longer lug on the sled?

Also everyone pushes a big wheel kit on the back as well. Wheel size could be important if you want to go fast, but I don't need it and want more flotation rather than speed, do I still need to fool with it?

Who has a good handle on this stuff??

Go wings!!~~~ 2 nuntin fist period.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
The big rear wheels are supposed to give you more power because it takes less effort to turn the track. Yes, you lose a very small amount of track length touching the ground because of this. My 99 RMK came to me with a 151" track and a rail extension kit that also converts the rear axle to 7.5" wheels. I like it but I don't know if it makes a real difference. If you are going to do a rail extension anyway usually the kits to go to the bigger wheels are around the same price. I found a nice selection of affordable 7.5" wheels and bearings at psep.biz. But it would be cheaper just to use your current rear wheels and just get a conventional rail extension.

You just want the track pitch of your new track to match the current one, unless you want to change out your drivers. I personally wouldn't do that. The pitch is just the distance between the driver lugs and holes.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You can get external (anti-ratchewt) drivers for 2.52 pitch tracks. The primary reason for 3" pitch tracks was to reduce weight and, I believe, the added benefit to improve traction in deep snow with greater separation between lug rows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts