Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 550 fan GSX does not come with an accessory plug. I ordered the part from my dealer, expecting to get the wiring as well. The only thing in the package was the plug outlet itself. There were no wires. The instructions mention that there is a black wire and a red/yellow wire on the main harness and I should pull them out and connect them to the 12V outlet. Does the 550 fan GSX have this harness? If so, where is it located? Has anyone completed this install before? If so, where did you choose to install the accessory plug?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Are you talking about the 12 Volt Cigarette lighter type plug receptacle as you'll find in a car?
Or the small 12 Volt visor type connector?

I believe you need to have a battery installed for the first one.
Check with the dealer that sold it to you.

Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

I am talking about the 12V plug similar to the car style plug (cig lighter). My snowmobile already has a battery from the factory (it does come with the heated visor 12V plug from the factory, but not the 12V cig lighter style plug). The 12V plug cig lighter style plug comes standard on the 600 and 800 models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone done the 12V outlet install (GPS, Cell phone charger sytle connection - not heated visor outlet) on the 2007 GSX 550 fan or the MXZ 550 fan?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Before you start drilling holes, check your plug roughly on the RH side (opposite the visor plug you'll see a flat round spot). I was going to mount my 12V plug there, but my GPS power cord plug would've interfered w/ the handlebar. I ended up drilling the hole in the black panel in the spot where the fuel gauge can be mounted. This is below & to the right of the tach location.

Check under the "dash plate" that cover the top of the gas tank. On the RH side there will be a couple of wires (w/ female connectors) that are kind of close together up under this piece. 1 is black & other is red w/ I think a yellow line on the insulation. Install the 12V outlet noting which prongs are marked + and -. Connect the red wire to the + prong & the black to the -.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed the accessory plug today. I also chose the location down and to the right of the tach. Works great!! The choke switch was installed in the flat spot opposite of the heated visor connection.

I have 0.3 miles on the sled and 0.32hrs of run time and I have already made many modifications to the suspension settings and installed many accessories lol

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I installed the accessory plug today. I also chose the location down and to the right of the tach. Works great!! The choke switch was installed in the flat spot opposite of the heated visor connection.[/b]
I should've realized that. My brother's (30cal4me) 500SS has the choke there too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts