4,869 Posts
I has been in the works for almost 10yrs

The price is awesome IMO

$999ca or $899 us

Labrador Boy might have more info

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
you're supposed to call it composite not plastic, because composite breaks down to weather conditions worse than plastic.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you're supposed to call it composite not plastic, because composite breaks down to weather conditions worse than plastic.[/b]
Yeah I know but a plastic suspension sounds more "unbelievable". :thumbsup:
The rails are a composite, but the swingarms are made of plastic.

I'm considering this suspension as a future mod for my sled. I have a little over a month to decide before the $300 rebate offer ends.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I sure hope they did there home work.
There is allot of structural engineering involved in an application like this.
Plastic or "composite" is a great product however, unless there quality control and material control is top notch there could be real problems.

Another misconception is that Plastic is lighter. Plastic is inherently very heavy and in structural cases can be heavier than aluminum.
In this case there quoted 56lb weight is no lighter than my already existing skid frame. Perhaps they are comparing it to another sleds skid.

However it is cheaper and faster to make composite type products. (why do you think we have plastic intake manifolds, gas tanks, filter systems etc, etc, etc.) There are even plastic cylinder heads.
Non-theless the molder they choose needs to be of an automotive quality plant otherwise there product quality could be all over the board.

I think their marketing is towards the person who thinks that aftermarket is better and who cares about longevity. More than likely the person purchasing this skid is only going to ride it for a couple years and then move on.

Their design and engineering will obviously need improvement once on the market and really tested however, it’s about time someone moves forward from the same old materials and design.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
it has been in the works for 10yrs

i have pics of the prototype in 99 or 2000

ADBoivin is not some hick company that came out of nowhere

Xpert X skid,Coupling upgrades for Doo/Cat,other suspension mods and of coruse the Snowhawk have been around for yrs

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my plastic suspension last week, hoping to get it installed this Sunday! :blahblah:

·
Registered
70 Posts
56 lbs? that doesnt seem very light to me...

the SC-10 under my vmax (dont ask, it came that way) might weigh 60lbs max (yes ive had it out and in my hands)...I would imagine some of the newer skids would weigh less.

that 900 would be better spent towards an M10 or the likes I would think...or better shocks for the factory skid? :)

and why not carbon fiber? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
There was a thread about the new plastic suspension on here a while back. I am not sure where the big advantage is as it weighs about the same. I would think an Xpert X would be a better choice for me.

FB, Labradourboy hasnt worked for AD for some time now.

Permafrost

1 - 9 of 9 Posts