Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 800 Polaris Switchback with the edge chassis and stock 144" track I bought new in Dec. 03. If I don't keep the track set tight with almost no sag it will ratchet over the driveshaft cogs, more so while braking which can get a little hairy at times. My 05 600 edge touring has the 4 drive cogs on the driveshaft and I was wondering if I could run this set up on the 800? It only has the 2 center drive cogs from the factory but has the outer drive lugs on the track. If so, can I get them individually? The Polaris parts book shows them as part of the driveshaft. The internal/ external drivers won't work because every 3rd window is not open on the track. There is no visable wear to the track or lugs and only slight wear on the face of the drive cogs. I still have well over 1/2 of the adjustment left on the tensioners. The sled has 7166 miles on it and has done this since new. No traction products have been added. It even still has the original hyfax! (I love the U.P.) Although they could go another season, I'm going to replace them and while the skid is out I'd like to upgrade if possible. The dealer just tells me to keep the track tight but if anyone has a cure or can refer me to someone who might be able to help, I'm all eyes.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
yes you can add drivers for the outside. have you checked your chain tension lately??[/b]
That's what I was thinking. It's easy enough to add them, but I don't think that's going to solve the problem. I put 7000 miles on a machine just like yours (03SKS), and never had that problem.
I run my tracks as loose as possible, to the point where they start to ratchet, then tighen up just a bit. Unless your track is way too loose, it shouldn't be ratcheting.

I did have a similar problem with my old Cougar. I thought it would ratchet when I hit moguls under full throttle, and occasionally while hill climbing, but I eventually figured out there were some teeth broken off the top cog in the chain case. Not noticeable most of the time, but every now and then....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
if your really going to swithc drives and its not just a chain problem go for anit rachet one, way better.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My 04 800 rmk rachets under power uphill hitting bumps. It is a inherint problem with the long travel of the suspension. You either keep it tight as heck with no weight on the sled or you get anti-rachet drivers......new track or cut out the windows.....I just keep it tight and hammer down,.........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts