Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I own a 97 700sks and a new 02 700xcsp I picked up this summer.  I have always run normal poo oil in the sks.  However, I need to run a synthetic oil in the xc, correct?  Here is my question.  Do I need to turn down the oil pump on the the sleds to run amsoil?  How do you turn down the pump?  Will it void the warranty on the xc? I want to use amsoil because most of you guys think it great and it costs about half of what the poo ves oil costs.  
Thanks

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
My advice if unsure would be too let the dealer doo it.  If you adjust your oil pump and your machine grenades it will prolly void your warranty.  I cant see polaris having any problems with the amsoil as team amsoil is now polaris

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
There is no "need" to turn down the oil pump of a properly adjusted sled converting to Amsoil.

Al

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah but the manufactors are peranoid so everything is normally set rich.  Then if you add amsoil which flows faster then regular oil it will run super rich.  

I ran my mach with amsoil with the oil pump still set stock.  Plugs never fowled but were very black.  I turned it down last year and im much happier with the way the plugs look and how smooth the raves have been.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Agreed, they do run better, and CAN be set closer to what they actually should be...but it's not something that HAS to be done.

The factory settings are fat, but it makes no difference what oil you are running. Anything you use will be fat. If you settle on one brand of oil, you can tweak the adjustments on your pump, if you are comfortable doing it, or know somebody that is.

Ideally you are looking for a 50:1 mixture, or a pint to 6 gallons. In theory, if you start with a topped off gas tank and oil tank, when you are able to add 6 gallons of gas to the gas tank, you should only be able to add a pint of oil to the oil tank. In practice, with factory settings, usually you can add a lot more than a pint, indicating a fat condition, but normal. The factories would call this cheap insurance, and most riders don't give it a second thought. If you enjoy tinkering, go for it,
but I wouldn't brag about your custom calibration at a dealer working on your sled under warranty....they would have a #### of a time proving you didn't receive it that way.

AL

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The reason to turn down the oil pump when going to a syn oil is not that the oil runs thinner in cold temps ( it does )fact  is that you can lean out you oil / fuel ratio. Like michahicks said ideally you should be running  50:1 ratio. With amsoil you can run a leaner ratio maybe down to 60:1 .The factory setting is probally 30:1 to 40:1. I found that backing off the oil pump a little at a time,  to you get to that 50:1 ratio, you will have a safe oil to fuel ratio.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
The first year I had my 01 MXZ 600 it took 2 trips to the dealer to get it adjusted so that the gas/oil ratio was 50:1  Initially it was around 23:1!!!  It was just drinking the oil. I checked my levels & calculated the fuel & oil usage & took this w/ me when I went to the dealer.

My '98 MXZ 500 & sister in law's '98 Formula 583 DL were notoriously lean. I forget what my brother said the ratio was on the 583, but it was approaching Amsoil premix territory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts