Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adjusting the track tension on my 98' MXZ 500, and I am wondering if there is another way to do it besides what it says in the shop manual. In the manual it says to use the track tension gauge (P/N 529 0215 00). Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
I use a ruler that I cut in half, and then notched the top. On top I use a fish scale(digital) to get the pounds of pressure required. the ruler gives me the distance. Instant track tension tool!!

Good luck!
FZ700

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
You want to run as lose as possible. If it rachetts, tighten and test until it stops, usually will have about one inch of free hang when done.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The problem with using a spring scale to doo it is you need two of them as both sides have to be done at once. I use the same technique as my mechanic does. Insert your index and middle finger between track and slides in the middle of the skid. If it hurts its right. Been dooin it that way for years. Put on over 5000kliks on my stock sliders last year before I changed them and they could of gone longer.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Originally posted by permafrost@Oct 28 2002, 09:15 AM
I use the same technique as my mechanic does. Insert your index and middle finger between track and slides in the middle of the skid. If it hurts its right.
Don't you just love technical solutions? :p

Good tip Permafrost, I'll have to remember that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts