Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine just gave me his 96 z440 and I'd like to give it a little TLC and do some ditch banging. I'll be tearing the sled down and rebuilding it as a little project. I'm looking for suggestions as far as what plugs to use & carry, what clutch weights/helix and springs to go with and any other input people have.

Sled is in great condition, just hasn't been used for about 4 years, so I thought maybe there would be some common seals/lines/cables and similar that may be known to cause issues.

Thanks for any and all input!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I can offer you info on the plug, the stock plug for that sled is a NGK BR9ES.
Other than that, I say give it a good going through and then go have a ball with it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the plan! Just figured the clutch may need some attention and I've never wrenched on an AC before...shocks need rebuilding too but I'll pay someone to do those. I think there is a highly recommended guy on this site.

·
10,054 Posts
freddy (timespentsearching) is your shock guru here on the site. Been told he does pretty good work.
as for your clutches,,, pull em apart, clean up up good using warm soapy water and compressed air,,, scuff the surfaces as well as your belt and start running. As long as you find no issues with the clutch (bad bearings or such) I wouldnt screw with it until you have rode it. you may find that you like the set up that is in it right now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news & bad news. Good news is that the sled only has 138 miles it! Bad news is that my buddy storred it w/o plugs, doh. So I'll hit the cylinders with pentrating oil/spray for a few days and then see if I can slowly work it free w/ the clutch. If not I'll do the top end...

·
Registered
644 Posts
First off, I take exception to the oxymoron you used; "a little TLC and then go ditch banging" ??!!! :D

Really though, other than the engine and whatever else seems obvious to you, I don't think you need to start out by re-making the rig. The engine, though, might be an issue. Stuck pistons? If it was stored without plugs and the pistons stuck, it's obvious moisture got in there. If it's in the top, then the crank and bearings are also likely affected. See if you can get it to turn over but, when you do, I'd pay real close attention to how it feels in turning. Any sign of rolling roughness suggests one or more bearings are rusted as well. That'll mean opening her up.

Also, if the engine got moisture inside, I would not trust the oil pump to work until it proves that it does. I'd mix the first tank of fresh gas too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, premixing the first tank sounds like a great idea. My plan was to see how it feels and then go forward. I am a bit worried about the bottom end, but my XCR was supposed to have questionable bearings from the get go, yet even after storage(with plugs though LOL) and pipes it still went great so sometimes these engines can be really tough.

I don't mind doing a little work as the sled is basically new, just don't want to dump too much into it. Luckily pistons/rings/bearings are all cheap nowadays, but I've never done a bottom end so if that needs help I may have to bring it to my friends shop.

EDIT:

Great news, grabbed the clutch and the engine spun right over with no sticking I'm mean NONE. So my next question is, what are some good online part shops? None of my friends sell AC. :(

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
So my next question is, what are some good online part shops? None of my friends sell AC. :([/b]

What are you looking for as far as parts?
OEM stuff?
If so, I've dealt with both Babbitt's and Alpha Sports several times and have been quite pleased with the service I got from each of them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
430 Posts
With the sled being new and the motor free there really isn't anything else to do.
If you are confident the fuel tank and lines are clear, run it.
Cat's 440 fans were pretty much bullet proof.
Keep an eye on the plugs for a while and jet as needed.
Don't be disapointed if in the first half hour or so the sled seems really doggy.
It will wake up after that and you'll be pretty pleased.
Around my neck of the woods it's imposible to find a 440fan cooled Cat. People just don't part with them.
They are that good-

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fired it up today and things went well. There was no snow on the road (parents live near trails) so i didn't try to ride it, but I jacked the back up and fired it up. It won't idle so I blipped the throttle and kept the rpm's at 2200-2800 until it was warmed up well, then I blipped between 2200-3200, then 2200-4000 and after about 15 minutes I went to 5800 a few times and it sounded great. Let it get below 2000 and it dies or comes really close. Temp outside today was around 38-40F.

Tomorrow I'll be pulling the chokes lines out of the carbs and giving them a good cleaning.

Couple ?'s:

What should I treat/clean the seat with? It has 1 very small tear that needs to be dealt with too. Also, I'll be checking the wiring but any other reason why the hand/thumb warmers wouldn't work?

Thanks for the reply's guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts