Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with aftermarket silencers, what brand do you have and did you lose any horsepower with its addition? I have heard that some people lose power when adding a silencer. Is this true/possible?

·
Registered
310 Posts
hmmmm, lose power?? I thought if anything you GAIN hp, but I actually thought that the silencer had nothing to do w/ power, just losing weight, and making the sound better/different. I guess it would be possible to lose power, but why would a company create something like that?? I had a superlite can, sounded nice, but then I got a SLP single pipe and can off a guy used for very cheap.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I had an SPX silencer on my 670. Sounded great, sled seemed to be quicker, but most of all it sounded alot better than stock.

Some silencers can lose power, because they change the backpressure to the engine. Its my opinion that if there is a loss it is miniscule. Silencers are mainly for changing engine sound (read: noisier) and for losing some weight up front.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I tried a B&B on my '99 mxz 600 for a brief time. No faster and the noise drove me crazy, took it off and sold it.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If your into a mean loud sound go for it, i got a B&B and its sound ALOT better than the stock suitcase, and i didint lose power, if anything i got a little better throttle response or so it seems, but there is no power boost with it, just get it fot the sound.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You only sound like your going faster, I have a B&B on my F3, it does make servicing the chain case and oil pump much easier without that suitcase in the way.

·
1,327 Posts
Originally posted by Bartman@Oct 21 2002, 08:45 PM
You only sound like your going faster, I have a B&B on my F3, it does make servicing the chain case and oil pump much easier without that suitcase in the way.
I found that Chaincase access was much easier the the B&B as well.

The stock silencer on my FZ was freakin HUGE, you almost need a crane to get the thing out.lol

I bought a used B&B trail canister from a guy in the US for $75 and the thing sounds AWESOME, I used a musical sound meter and it is actually 1.4 db quieter than stock at idle.

Has a real nasty bark at higher rpm though.

I can't wait for the snow!

DP

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm running the B&B muffler on my '97 Mach 1 and gained 5 h.p. and close to 3 lbs.-ft. of torque compared to stock muffler with no other changes. This was on my buddies' Land & Sea dyno. What may have helped is that my motor is ported, heads shaved, squish re-worked and also have V-Force II's, but I was definitely surprised and happy with the results.
Hope this helps !

·
Registered
364 Posts
with some silencers YOU DOO LOOSE HP. I'm in the process of clutching my sled and that was the first thing the guy asked. What type of silencer do you have? DYNOPORT. Good your all set, no loss in HP there.

Buddy just added the B&B Eliminator RACE and sounds awesome but going to be to loud specially on the trails. Will get annoying when riding to I bet.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I installed the MBRP trail silencer, I lost pounds but not HP. It's not as loud as the B&B, but still has a good sound. Plus some states are startng to frown on excessive noise.

just my .02

FZ700

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ran a dynoport on a 2001 mxz 600 and it was great. The sound was nice and not too loud, and it felt a little snappier. That could be just me thinking its faster, everybody does it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
SOme silencers help, some don't.

It is the design that makes the difference. A baffled can like the SLP ones will add the most power, but the ones like the MBRP won't as much. The trail MBRP are better, as they have more back pressure to the exhaust

The race ones, and the 3 inot 3 style will hurt the most. They might add some peak HP, but will hurt the bottom end the most.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Originally posted by FZ700@Oct 22 2002, 08:49 PM
I installed the MBRP trail silencer, I lost pounds but not HP. It's not as loud as the B&B, but still has a good sound. Plus some states are startng to frown on excessive noise.

just my .02

FZ700
The B&B canisters are what MBRP calls the ones they make FZ700 you do have a B&B.
Also as for losing lots of back pressure with a can I cannot see it as the pipe on everyones sled has a smaller diameter coming out of the pipe than what goes into the pipe this is what makes your back pressure. The can does affect it a little, but if the pipe is designed correctly the can will not make you lose Back pressure. If the stock can is used to make more back pressure than the sled pipe can product, then you lose Back pressure and HP. It varies from one sled to another. ;)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The silencer pressure has allot to do with backpressure. Doo switched the silencer entirley on 02 on the 800 to gain more back pressure.

Go and buy a noise maker and get some more trails closed then.

That is all you are buying, noise.

Silencers have everything to do with power, I have a MBRP can, and it's sitting on the shelf cause of what it did to my bottom end.

2 strokes do not have the same flow charectoristis of that of a 4 storke. Then need the back preddure. More back pressure, more HP. Look at fullout race pipes, only use 3/4 inch tubing for stinges to send as much of that pulse back into the motor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those of you with the MBRP trail silencer, how does it sound compared to stock/MBRP race silencers? Thanks for the replies guys. I am still iffy on purchasing a silencer, I fear losing any bottom end. Can I avoid this at all with any silencer?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I dont know what your riding but i can assure you i didint lose power on my mxz 700 with my B&B Trail can, its not quite as loud as the race can when cruising but when you hammer it, it has the same bark as the race can, i know because my friend has one on his 700 and its no louder than mine when cranked.

·
Registered
791 Posts
800mxz
Look at fullout race pipes, only use 3/4 inch tubing for stinges to send as much of that pulse back into the motor.

Exactly the outlet of the pipe compared to the size of the input side of the pipe is where your backpressure #'s come from the canister should not make that much of a loss in backpressure if the pipe is tuned to make the right backpressure on the motor. This is what I have read in a magazine some where when I find this article again I will post it. But am having trouble finding it through all my magazines from the past 4 years, there is alot. ???

1 - 20 of 38 Posts