Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed over and over, but now I'm interested.  Has anyone regretted studding their sled?  I've never picked any of my sleds, but am considering it for my ZR800.  I do like the occasional sliding around corners, but would appreciate the studs for acceleration.  My main concern w/the studs is the front end pushing...I already feel like the front end is too light sometimes.  The only thing I haven't adjusted for that is the front springs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
On my first sled I didn't stud it because I didn't want to put the time or money. But then I got my new sled with studs and really like them.  The only reason that I would not stud it is if you have trails that prohibit studs, that is my only problem.  I run 96 stud snow-X pattern and they hood decent on ice and you can still slide on snow.  I would go 144 for a 800.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i ride with a group that seems to be without picks and a few of them used to have them but claim the pain is not worth the gain.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Jim, go with the studs,you will love them on your 800.
Put 8-10 inch carbides on for cornering,that helps out with any pushing issues.

Just don't buy Sabers
the carbide tips broke out on 1/4 of my studs,with only 1200 miles.

See you at Bauers next year for sure  

·
Registered
741 Posts
I wouldn't have a sled without studs. I like the safety aspect. I do tend to stud on the high side though as I do like to accelerate. I have 192 one my zrt600, with 10' of carbide on the ski's no cornering problems. I mostly ride at my cabin where most trails have icy corners. I have used woody's, saber, and fast-trac's. All of them in my opinion are very close to being the same, as far as longevity. Kevin

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've got an 01 ZR 800LE,with a 1" track and 192 studs.It hooks hard and more importantly it stops when I want it to.Eight inch carbides keep it going where I point it.Get Woodys,they cost more but they last longer.They're worth the money.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am not they are worth the trouble, I have two sled's with and the last one we bought we did not put them on. With this state (Michigan) talking about not letting studs on all trails I will not put them on my next sled until they get it all figured out, plus other states have stud fees if you want to use them. Then there maintenance, which seems like every year is something else.
Paul

·
Registered
625 Posts
It really depends on where you ride, if you get alot of icy conditions then yes definetely from a safety stand point. If you ride in low snow conditions all it will do is cost you alot of bent picks and tracks if you are not very careful. I personally do not have them on my sled, but I almost never run into icy conditions and on groomed trails the difference is almost not noticeable (my sled had picks in it when I bought it), I used to weld alot of heat exchangers for sleds at my previous job almost all of the damage was caused by studs so I decided to take mine out and have had zero problems.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Put studs in ur 800cc.  I have rode mine with out studs for a season and now with studs this season.  It's a night and day different.  I will NEVER ride with out them again. Satrting stopping its all a bonus.  In your 800 use the 5/16 shaft.  They are thicker and less likely to break off.  Carbide tip is great.  I put in 192, and love them

Put 8"-10" carbides on the front, or play with the spring setting until it's right for you.  

A

·
0 Posts
I would never ride without them.  I use them for acceleration and for stopping.  I can't tell you how many times they have saved my a** when we run 90 down a wide snow covered trail and have to stop QUICK.

·
Registered
310 Posts
yea i wish i had the money to put pics on my sled a couple months ago, and if i had the money i wouldnt want to waste sledding time, but i should have.  man i almost crashed about 4 times, it was scary as ####.  this summer im putting them on my new sled NO MATTER WHAT.

A

·
0 Posts
You won't be sorry.  Just don't try to swing the back end around.  a.k.a. POWERSLIDE.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I ride a ZTR 800 with 192 studs, and 8" carbides, and one of my buddies rides the same sled with 4' carbides and no studs. He gets mad at me because he cannot keep up with me, and he has crashed it twice, mostly because he is all over the place when he gets on it, or comes into a corner fast.
I let him try mine and now we will be studding his this summer. He was impressed, but had a hard time getting used to being plasterd to the trail, but he loved the gut wrenching acceleration.
If your in a place that gets alot of snow, studs may not be the best choice, but here in Wis / upper Mich on groomed trails, it is awsome!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the comments guys...I will probably go with 96 or 144 picks.  All my riding is in northern WI or the UP.  Wasn't interested in them before 'cause everyone was talking about outlawing them, but that seems to have simmered down for now.
Keep the opinions coming.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Go with a 144 studs...especially with an 800, it's better to have more than not enough.  It puts to much pressure/load per each individual stud when under studding.  Think about it...especially if/when you have to travel on or cross paved roads which is the case with alot of us where we ride.  I think of it like the guy who lays on the "bed of nails", I would much rather try to lay on a bed of 1000 nails versus 100 nails.  Hope this makes a little sense.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Go with a 144 studs...especially with an 800, it's better to have more than not enough.  It puts to much pressure/load per each individual stud when under studding.  Think about it...especially if/when you have to travel on or cross paved roads which is the case with alot of us where we ride.  I think of it like the guy who lays on the "bed of nails", I would much rather try to lay on a bed of 1000 nails versus 100 nails.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Go with a 144 studs...especially with an 800, it's better to have more than not enough.  It puts to much pressure/load per each individual stud when under studding.  Think about it...especially if/when you have to travel on or cross paved roads which is the case with alot of us where we ride.  I think of it like the guy who lays on the "bed of nails", I would much rather try to lay on a bed of 1000 nails versus 100 nails.

·
Registered
404 Posts
sorry for multiple post...kept getting some error?
?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts