Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why hasn't anybody ever looked into using an air-injected motor?  The principle is very simple.  Inject the fuel every stroke and also inject the air (under pressure)  The exhaust gasses are forced out when the fresh air is injected.  This way you can have a closed crankcase and eliminate burning the oil while every stroke is a power stroke.   The only new parts would be the compressor and air-injection system.  I would think emissions would be lower too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turbocharging pressurizes the air entering the cylinders, but the way the motor runs is the same. (either a 2 stroke which burns the oil or a 4 stroke which only produces power every-other stroke)  If you inject the air, you don't have to burn the oil and you can have every stroke be a power stroke.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
2- strokes don't have valves to regulate the flow.  On a 4 stroke the exaust valve closes while the fuel charge enters trapping the entire charge.  On a 2-stroke, part of the charge flows right out the open exaust port.  That is the reason 2-strokes will never compete with 4 as far as efficiency.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Give us more info on this air-injected motor, portage.  Sounds interesting.  Are there any real working examples out there?  Or is it something new?  Let us know what the deal is....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read about it a while back in some magazine.  I can't recall which one.  Maybe Popular Mechanics or something.  Apparently it was invented quite a while ago and Ford bought the rights to the design.  I have never heard any more about it.  It seems like it would be a good fit for snowmobiles.  I thought somebody else might have more information.  As far as the effieciency goes, It may not be as effiecient as a 4 stroke, but would be far better than a conventional 2 stroke with less parts and easier rebuilds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts