Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how removing a airbox from a post 80's sled makes the sled run lean?  Back in the day there were no air box's.  ####, some didn't even have filters.  Does the air box restric that much air that when you remove it, it allows a lot more air to enter the carb un restricted?  When I looked at the airbox on my 95 zr, there is not a whole lot inside of it.  Just curious.

·
Registered
875 Posts
here's my story on leaning out my Kawasaki.

after the hugly expensive restoration i found it never had the top end and would bog out especially from stops into incline.  only lifting the hood would get it going.  after much frustration we opened the air box and found a spark plug box deep in a air baffle!

finally it ran like an LTD.  i decided to K&N and jetted the sled pretty well; but not well enough for a 6 km T.W.O. in cold cold air.  classic top end melt down.

thats all i have to say about that

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm running open filters on a modded ZR580 and it runs great. My buddy run a gutted air box on his ZL500 for a few mins but never jet rich enough and put the box back together before meltdown. So if you run no box make sure you jet for it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This may be dumb, but why do sleds have air box's?  Why not run straight filters?  Seems to me money and space could be saved.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If i remember correctly, the airbox is to warm the air. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Doesnt an engine make more horsepower with colder air?  I dont see how the air box would warm the air up.  I suppose its possible.  I really dont understand the concept behind using an airbox.  I'm thinking about removing it and installing K&N's on my '98 zrt 600.  I just dont know what to rejet it to.  Anyone done this yet?  Notice any improvements?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jruppert @ Sep. 04, 2002, 11:37pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Doesnt an engine make more horsepower with colder air?  I dont see how the air box would warm the air up.  I suppose its possible.  I really dont understand the concept behind using an airbox.  I'm thinking about removing it and installing K&N's on my '98 zrt 600.  I just dont know what to rejet it to.  Anyone done this yet?  Notice any improvements?[/b][/quote]
That is exactly what I thought, cold air is better for an engine.  That is why people are always trying to find cold air induction on cars.  So why do sleds come with air box's???

·
Registered
875 Posts
the air box will stop snow dust from entering the engine, which could potentially cause a meltdown from a sticking ring.
it also stops crud like sparkplug boxes and bits of chewed up belts from being sucked into the engine.

ever wonder what its like under the hood at 80 mph?  its probably like Kansas on a bad day

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How about intake noise reduction? That is a main reason modern sleds have such restricted air box, they are designed for max power and lowest intake noise and to keep the snow dust out of engine, if you have a stock engine leave the air box alone.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not trying to argue, and I would never remove the airbox from my sled.  But if what you guys are saying is true, noise and to keep snow and debris out is the main purpose of these things, than.....Extra noise is OK, a air filter will keep debris out, and colder air would = better performance.  So design these things without them, they seem to be a waste to me.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Doesnt the air box keep the engine from sucking in snow dust and icing up the carbs. You want the air to be cold but you want the carbs to be warm.....I think there is a balance an thats what the air box does. you can gut the air box and jet for it but I wouldnt want to be busting powder with no cones  in my air box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts