Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has been to the Arctic Man event in Alaska??

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i think omotm has been there,he posted pics before

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yepper, been there (it's held about 180 miles N. of here). Let me tell you....it's one crazy weekend. A small community of about 1000 motorhomes, 5-6K sleds and about 10K sledheads suddenly appear in the middle of nowhere. The dealers are there with next years models. They have what's called "The states largest beer tent" complete w/ band. Trouble is, there's way too much drinking involved. I won't even get on my sled after dark in fear of getting T-boned by some drunk idiot doing 100mph. There's been a few people killed over the last few years. It's a shame people can't seperate the two. The troopers started really policing the event in numbers last year and it appeared to help (nobody killed last year). But other than that part of it, it's something to see if you ever get the chance. Hanging onto a rope behind a sled doing a 100mph. is INSANE!!!! :nervous:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hell yeah :devil: This by far the best snowmobile event in Ak. I was there a couple of times and it just keeps getting better and better. Every year they add a few more events and makes for a fun weekend. I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a good time and wants to do some serious shredding. :hallo1:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have a bunch of frequent flier miles, and have some family that live in Eagle River. I've thought about coming that week to visit and come nad ride.

How far is it from Eagle River?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's some more info. that you might want to know.
This place is in the middle of nowhere! There is a small gas station and lodge (which is normally booked 2-3 yrs. in advance) about 10 miles away and THAT"S IT!!! So you might want to consider renting a moterhome, unless your one of those hearty souls that can sleep in a tent( temps. can still dip down into the subzeros even in the spring).
Check out the site http://www.arcticman.com/. It has some good info. Hope to see ya there!!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My uncle has a camper to use. Just want to get info on what is all envolved with coming.

I have done some driving in AK. We left E R and went north then east one day (the highway towards Valdez) and drove all the way to Denali on another. Would I have been going th right way?

·
Registered
269 Posts
800mxz, I have a couple of suggetions. First, it is no longer a weekend event. There are cross country races (300 Mile) during the week along with other stuff, check there site cause it changes. Usually there is a big air event after the Arctic Man race, a Snow X, may be a Hill Climb or whatever else they can throw into the mix.
You might also want to plan on a 2 week excursion, the "Valdez Mountain Man Hillclimb" is the weekend before Arctic Man. That is my personal favorite and I make it to both each year. Some of the best riding in he state can be had at both events. If you decide to come, let me know, I will show you around at either or both events. Also the attendance is now up to 16,000

RIDE SAFE

Attachments

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMOTM, is that a sled w/a parachute behind it???

'Guess if you're not longtracked, you might as well not even consider going, huh?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Fritch, I ride a shorty and I go where I ever I please.I can't himark with the top dogs but you could go just about anywhere you please.I haven't rode in Valdez yet but I'm planning on it this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts