Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I guess we can forgo with amber waves of grain and purple majesties..

Arctic National Forest

Wide open spaces.....

Tag along gas station.....

It’s all pretty!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And some more:

At the mouth of one, into the next (rivers that is.)

Let’s see, which track should we follow?

As close to a groomed trail as I saw - this was also 60 miles from the nearest set of human made tracks of any sort.

And then April 1:

Looking for a turn around...

Oops! Too late.

That's 2-3 feet of snow with a foot or more of water beneath and saturating it (the whole snowy area in the foreground). The only firm area was the old track where the 550 is sitting. It, in turn, was creating a dam of sorts which was holding back the water which would otherwise have run to the low side of the ice. It was a mess, not a big one but enough that we took our sweet time. No sense having a heart attack in the midst of that beauty. Besides, I had all four boys along and it was worthwhile for them to help fix a mess like that. Even though we had spent better than an hour crossing the previous river due to similar conditions, we opted after this to turn around, cook some sausage snacks over a fire, and get home to drier clothes.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
Great shots, keep them coming.
Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd sure hate to break down 60 miles from the nearest set of footprints!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hate to breakdown? Me too! I was getting spooked riding that old rig, the one with 21,000 miles now. (Sad thing is, I trust it more than my low miles 550 SuperSport.) I carry a GPS in a warm pocket, a handheld VHF also in a warm pocket, and snowshoes (so as to climb to the top of a high enough point from which to make a radio call.) Snowshoes, tarp, and few other useful things are in the sled. Worst case scenario, someone would come looking if I didn't return by dark. An overnight would likely be the worst I'd suffer. The walk could be long, but the exit doors from the planet are no more common than in town, they just look different.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sweet picutres I sure love the north.....thanks for posting them...November

Rick

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, primarily riding although I was open to bringing back edible critters or fur. The caribou didn't get quite this far this year so seeing a herd was not likely - sometimes a stray or three will wander though! I did almost snag a wolf which was hauling 20 pounds or so of moose meat. If my rifle hadn't jammed at the wrong moment, that critter would have been a gimme. Nothing ever is though really. (That's probably why it is known locally as getting lucky.) This ride was mostly just to go see some country I love to see and hadn't been into for a couple of years. If our weather holds - (doesn't warm too quickly and lose the meager coastal snow we have), we should be able to ride back there in April. A trip over to the Yukon River would be fun again. The river appears to be frozen right for it. The snow is a lot deeper on the river than it appears though. The machine rides nicely just on the surface. In a lot of places though, you step off and sink well down into the surface. That snow depth will really be a mess when the temps warm and it goes to mush.

To answer your question about the sled I pull though, yes it goes along in case - it's no fun to get an opportunity to bring home meat and not be able to - or ride with a lynx in front or a wolf under/behind on the seat. It is also a lot more fun to ride - and easier on the machine- to pull a sled with extra gas than it is to try to load that somehow on the machine.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, we go nearly halfway through the petrol and hope we can buy more when we are there. If not, it's "backtrack" time. Because we nearly always haul gas wherever we go, we nearly always pull a sled as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts