Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got to thinking today how much I miss my old XCR, and so I'm curious about what other classic models people wish they had.

Let's do it as a two part question.

1) What sled from the past would you like to have sitting in your garage right now, and

2) If you could go back in time, what sled do you wish you would've bought brand new, and why.

As for me, I'd actually really love to have a 94 XCR 440, in mint condition of course, as a spare sled. A buddy of mine has one that he's owned since new, and I just love it. Of course I'd probably be happy with a 97 XC 600 as well. Better suspension while maintaining the low-slung stance, and that wonderful triple sound.

If I could go back in time, I'd buy a 90 or 91 Prowler. I remember thinking how these things were rockets, and they looked so cool, it's the sled I can say really got me hooked on sledding. My cousin bought one of the original 1990's, and two of my friends had 93 2-up's. I was soo jealous, and even when I had the 94 Panther, which I loved at the time, I used to love to trade with them and crack the throttle, I was always amazed at the difference in the power.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
do i count? Im pretty young but still i would have liked to have some sleds back when

i want a mid 90's polaris tripple, like an xcr, xlt, or indy

buy new, probably an 80 or 81 blizzard MX

·
Registered
795 Posts
I like to have my 99 Formula Z again. I loved the torque of the 670 & this sled was easy to ride.
There was 2 sleds I wish I bought. 96 Formula 3, Just love the sound & if the clutches were set up properly they were fast sleds.
The second sled, because I like the 670 so much would have been a 99 MXZ 670 HO. I think I could have had alot of fun with this sled. :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would love to have a 1999 MXZ 670 H.O. Looks were amazing and the power was awesome. I would also love to have a 2000 Mach Z The limited edition Mike Howe..Love those sleds a buddy of mine has one So damn fast and looks amazing!!. And the Mach would be the one I would have loved to bought new.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
wow, everyone is talking about the late 90's and early 00's, man, i must be a vintage person.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I like the vintage as well a friend of mine has a Massey Furgeson I think its a 292. I would love to have a Mercuary Trail Twister now there is a FAST vintage sled!.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
yeah, i want a lot of vintage sleds. Id like one of the early machs also. Id like a brand new 81 citaion ss so the one i got i can do cool stuff to.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, everyone is talking about the late 90's and early 00's, man, i must be a vintage person.[/b]
Anything older then 99 is vintage, as far as I'm concerned.
I suppose there might be a couple of pre-90's sleds I wouldn't mind riding, but I can't see the thrill in anything with leaf springs.

I've seen a couple on the internet I would like to have though.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
I wish I still had that 86' Indy with the 488 fan. After we painted it we named it the "Red Rocket" It was fun, light, and fast enough. Only downfall was that on a rough trail it beat the crap out of you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wish I bought a 2002 ZR CC 600 EFI instead of the ZL SS 600 EFI turd that I bought.

6 years later I'm retrofitting ZR CC rear shocks and springs in hopes that the suspension will finally be ridable.

What else do I wish was sitting in my garage? I'd like an 02 or 03 Viper (blue of course) with a 136" M10 or better rear suspension.

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
I had three sleds as a teenager in Flint, MI. My first was a 1969 Ski Doo something or another with a single piston and a flip up headlight. I also had a 433 Yamaha I believe was a 1970 or 1971. Then I had a Scorpion 400 something in metallic red. Out of the three I wish I still had the SkiDoo.
I hope to attend the Antique Snowmobile Show in Nabinway, MI mid February. If I get excited enough I will probably look into buying a restored vintage sled so I can attend 2009's show as a particpant and not just eyeballing. Of course the wife would probably not be too fond of that idea.
Richard

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
1.) my dads old merc sno pro race sled. 2.) well I have too many to list, so I will go with the yellow machz as well, could be the kawasaki interceptor too. reason they are sleds .

·
4,440 Posts
p.s. vintage has to be pre '74.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
p.s. vintage has to be pre '74.[/b]

no, i would disagree, anything with leaf springs is vintage, i would say any sled that is 20 years or older is vintage. By your logic you would say my sled is not vintage?

·
4,440 Posts
no, i would disagree, anything with leaf springs is vintage, i would say any sled that is 20 years or older is vintage. By your logic you would say my sled is not vintage?[/b]
and its not, its just an old sled. try and ride it in the annual vintage ride in the U.P. and see if they let you. my 81 kawasaki has leafs but its not vintage and they will not let me ride with them.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
and its not, its just an old sled. try and ride it in the annual vintage ride in the U.P. and see if they let you. my 81 kawasaki has leafs but its not vintage and they will not let me ride with them.[/b]
IMO anything with just bogie wheels is vintage. The only sled that I wished I could have gotten my hands on,was a Rupp Nitro 440. Imagine what type of sled it would be if Rupp was still around.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
While I have plenty of fond memories of the old 69 Ski-doo Olympic 399 twin, I really don't feel like taking one out on the trails again. I can't quite let go of the '87 El Tigre 6000, but I don't think I am going to spend much time on it this year (even if I do get it running again).

I for one am just as glad to be getting a new one with a really good suspension, efi and lots of horsepower! :thumbsup:

dave

·
10,054 Posts
78 kawasaki invader,,, grandpa had one and it was the first sled I rode by myself. He still has it and maybe one day he will come off it to me and I will get that sled to restore,,, I do have my fingers crossed!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts