Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to go for a ride a few minutes ago and let my machine warm up and all and when i was cruising down the trail i was blinded my steam or what seemed to be steam.  So i lifted up the hood and there was a whole lot of steam comming from around the exaust pipe, like from under the shield or somthing, i pulled the plugs just to see if it was smoke and the plugs were burning good. Was it just water under the shield or am i going nutz???

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
We all know you are nuts.lol  
Is it possible that snow,water or ice got in the ex.sheilding  somehow? If the plugs look ok and no anti was in the cyl. one must assume thats what happend.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
jwheeler,
 i agree with mxz7, is the steam coming out of the exhaust ? if it is white smoke then it is coolant.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i wouldnt run your sled until you check your water, see if its going down or has gone down since the last time you checked it. sounds like your might be burning coolant.

Zagg

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yeah, either ice/snow/water or coolant coming from exhaust!  You guys took those words right out of my mouth!

·
Registered
394 Posts
were u in some deep snow with the vents open? sounds like some snow in between the pipe and aluminum sheild. check coolant levels just incase

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Take the hot dogs out of the "hotdogger" and see if that helps. LOL

Really, sounds like water, but like Paul said, if its white smoke, better look for a coolant leak.

FishHog

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Thats weird.  I dont know how snow could have gotten inbetween.  I would have thought it would have just avaperated the moment it came in contact.  Or at least melt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had the same type of thing happen.  I first thought it was coolant burning off, but it did not have that sweet smell that coolant gives off.  I had just polished the pipe cover.  What ever was left on the cover was just burning off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Now you have me thinking about this.  I have never removed the pipe cover to see what the insulation material is, but is it possible that it got damp and the steam we were seeing is just that, steam from it drying out?  I keep it inside and bring it in cold could cause condensation which would be absorbed by the insulation.  I had sprayed mine off, which explains how it could have gotten damp.  Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
mxz21, I hear you on that.I WD40 the engine and pipe then hose it down.Water could settle behind the shield and steam away next time you ride.Maybe jwheeler posted this topic for the hellof it,to see what kind of bogus ideas we had.lol

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes i like to hear u guys brainstorm.

·
Registered
394 Posts
so what is the verdict? did ya figure out what caused all the steam. just wondering, i am kinda curious as to what it was

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had alot of rain the day before and then it turned cold really fast and there was ice under the shield and down around the belly pan under the pipe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts