Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Just finished freshening up the top end. Pistons, rings, pins and bearings new. Here's the potential concern.
After warming up, the idle speed picks up to +/- 2300 from 1800. If I re prime, it drops for a while then picks back up. My next door neighbour (also a sled head) figures possible base gasket but after 10 minutes on the stand at various throttle positions up to about 4g's, plugs look normal. I also noticed that after  I shut it off, fuel appeared under the sled as if it was continuing to siphon. Can't peg where it's coming from.
Any suggestions, tests, observations, experience you can offer prior to going to dealer for a leak test?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Michael

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The increasing rpm's indicate a lean condition as I see it.  With choking the sled the rpm's settle back down correct?  If so this is a lean condition.  If fuel is leaking somewhere, check the overfull vent tube on the side of the tank.  Check to make sure your carb bowl nuts are in, they are located underneath the carb where you re-jet your mains.  Sometimes if you clean your carbs people will leave them off and forget about them.  A dirty pilot  jet can cause this also.  I would start by cleaning your carbs, then checking the float level, and then sync your carbs.   If it is a carb problem, this will eliminate the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kid.....
Sometimes I can't believe what a dink I am.  In my haste to get everything back together I didn't tighten the bowl nuts. Fuel leaked out, caused the lean condition, brought the idle way up.
She's purring now, right on 1700.

BIG sigh of relief.

Michael  

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Glad to see you found the problem Michael,  I didn't post that information because I have heard about it.  I did it myself.  It can happen to anyone, and probably has or will if you wrench long enough.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya ballsout1, but trust me ..... as embarassing as it was to admit my error, that sled wasn't comin' off the stand till I found the snag.

Thanks for sharing my relief!!  

1 - 6 of 6 Posts