Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably come up before but I cant find anything on it. What are the pro-cons of amsoil fully synthetic oil. I"am thinking of trying it,thanks for any input.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I simple wat to put it. When your out on the trail for a two or more day trip, how many places have you seen amsoil in a backwoods marnia? I live in Ontario and i know i can say i hardly see it around.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Last year in my 440 lc I ran amsoil the first half or the year.  Then switched to ski-doo formula xp-s.  Liked the ski-doo oil better, did not smoke as much.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
DanR

What you said is true.  I drive using castrol syntec and i love it.  Almost no smoke, Very clean burning and good smell.  Amsoil is very clean and also low smoke but it burns the eyes of riders behind you.  I drive behind my friends somtimes and i get this stinging.  Once we switched machines and the eyes returned to normal.  

·
Registered
307 Posts
Danr and Machzzzz1 are right. I forgor being off season that amsoil does burn your eyes if you ride behind a sled with amsoil. So for your fellow riders behind you don't use it.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I called amsoil and asked them about there more expensive oil and they told me that the only reason you should run the more expensive oil is if you have a really modified sled. They said for stock sleds their less expensive sythetic injector oil is fine. This was Amsoil themselves telling me not to waste my money on the expensive stuff. I will be trying it this season for the first time. I'll let you know. My friend will also be using it so I'll let you know about burning the eyes too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Been using Amsoil the past few years now with great results! Clean burning, pours to a very low temp.. but what surprised me the most was the improved throttle response I had using it! I use to foul plugs alot with the manufacturer's oil, then I switched to Amsoil and I have only fouled one plug since. I became a dealer after that. Also I had great results with  their motor oil. Improve my gas mileage 10%-15% if my vehicle. Amsoil products are working great for me!
Thanks,Tom
Amsoil Lubricants

·
Registered
1 Posts
See this response from Amsoil regarding the folloing question:

I have 3 Arctic Cat snowmobiles that I am considering using Amsoil. The models are 2000 Z440ESR, 2002 ZL600EFI SS and a 2002 Thunder Cat. Because of the power valves on the 600 I was thinking of using the Series 2000 on All the sleds because of ease of buying only one oil type. My question is will there be any issues during break in v.s. AC APV oil? Is Amsoil reconized and approved by AC and others. Do you have any independent product tests and or web sites to study?

Response:
Manufacturers don’t endorse or forbid products by name, but set certain API and other standards that must be met in order to be acceptable.  AMSOIL 2 Cycle Synthetic Oils meet and exceed the API TC and TC-W3 specifications from Cat.  2 cycle engines that have exhaust power valves all need periodic maintenance regardless of the type of oil being used.  AMSOIL 2 Cycle Oils have been tested thoroughly in various engines and found to be as clean or cleaner burning than other oils on the market including OEM oils.  We have a light ash content (manufacturers specify this), which helps deposits to be exhausted and not adhere to the power valve.  No oil that we know of can eliminate the cleaning required, but AMSOIL is one of the cleanest burning.  The use of AMSOIL Power Foam for cleaning these valves when removed for maintenance has been shown to keep the valves cleaner longer.

Unless these are racing sleds, our first choice recommendation is to use our regular AMSOIL Synthetic 2 Cycle Injector Oil (AIO).  AMSOIL Series 2000 2 Cycle Racing Oil is designed for the high rpm, high heat, and constant wide open throttle encountered in racing.  This is a very robust product and needs this type of use for complete combustion.

We have no head to head comparisons against manufacturer's products.  Most of them are outsourced and may not be made by the same vendor year to year.  We recently conducted a test where we ran 14 different 2 cycle oils in a comparison with our own.  A special device was made to be able to switch between the brands without stopping the test engine.  In all instances engine temperature was elevated but would reduce when switching back to the AMSOIL Synthetic.  Complete description of these products may be found on our website in the product information section.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I always had people behind me complaining about burning eyes,when using amzoil, when I checked my oil to fuel ratio,I was running at about 35-40/to 1 . I changed my injection pump to around 60/1 . No-more burning eyes behind me. To do this safely I pre-mixed 100/1 in the fuel tank while experimenting with the pump setting, just to know I would'nt push my luck. I have been told people can run 100/1 when using amzoil , but I'm not fouling plugs , and oil is cheaper than pistons.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your right 7c. burning eyes is more likely to be caused by a sled running too rich than the oil. And like you said be careful went adjusting the oil rate. I'd rather buy a little extra oil than burn it down.

·
Registered
116 Posts
the bottem line is this: if you want to run the best oil, you got to use klotz! klotz smells good.  only the amsoil2000 compares, but it stinks! and costs more. klotz does not gum up or leave carbon deposits. i highly recommend it!  after 3100 miles of testing, my moter was spotless i could still see the cross hatch marks from the factory! my rave valves where clean and moved freely. you cant ask for more out of an oil. i never fouled a plug. i would never break in a new moter with this oil,because its so good the rings might never seat. run about a gallon of cheap oil first!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Astro, I have to disagree on one thing, PRICE. Amsoil is not more expensive than Klotz. I use Klotz in my jetski, well maybe not anymore, and it goes for around 27 to 30 a gal. I can get Amsoil at the same store for 18.95 a gal. I have ordered it for 16.87 a gal. including shipping. I do agree that Klotz is great oil. Don't know if I would go as far as to say that you don't have to clean or you still have all the cross hatch. I have torn apart my power valves and they have been dirty. It all depends like someone else said, how much oil you are injecting. That is key. The reply from Amsoil even says that you still have to do maint-x. I think we have had enough discussions on oil.  Doesn't everybody else. Let's all put more effort into wishing for SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :0  :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
around here, klotz runs $18.00 a gallon.   amsoil race 2000 oil starts at 23.50 a gallon. your pricing sounds more like regular amsoil, and it  doesnot compare with klotz. i live 150 miles away from where amsoil is made, there are alot of amsoil distributers around here.  if you want to compare apples to apples    then compare amsoil gold 2000  to klotz!  not the cheaper amsoil. the gold wholesales for $23.50  and retails for around $30.00

·
0 Posts
I run the synthetic Amsoil in my sleds and have had great results. No melt downs, good spark plug life, clean pistons etc. As one fella mentioned it is rather hard to find in remote places but so is any synthetic stuff unless their is a dealer around. I would never mix synthetics and non synthetic together as I have heard that sometimes the mix can clog up the filter so I carry extra with me on the long trips. Whatever you decide on make sure it has the JASCO/FC (Japan) or the ISO-L-EGD (Bombardier) legends on it.  The old TCW-3 rating is a rating used more for boats, quads and older sleds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys,from what I have seen posted here I really dont see myself getting talked into anything better than what I allready have.
I have been burning yamalube2 [semi synthetic] for many years with excellent results: clean valves even at 4000 miles-cross hatch marks perfectly at 7000- 0 engine problems even with a 8800 rpm motor. Yes it smokes a little and it does stink a little but at $10.00 a gallon compared to $20 and $30 I will just take my extra money saved on my not so fancy oil and take an extra trip this year!

·
Registered
119 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (astro @ Nov. 01 2001, 2:32pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">around here, klotz runs $18.00 a gallon.   amsoil race 2000 oil starts at 23.50 a gallon. your pricing sounds more like regular amsoil, and it  doesnot compare with klotz. i live 150 miles away from where amsoil is made, there are alot of amsoil distributers around here.  if you want to compare apples to apples    then compare amsoil gold 2000  to klotz!  not the cheaper amsoil. the gold wholesales for $23.50  and retails for around $30.00[/b][/quote]
I can't seem to find any information that compares Klotz to Amsoil. Can u provide us with a link to where u are gettign this info from?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts