Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
an interesting tidbit from my recent club newsletter.

Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs has been investing in snowmobile trails for 35 years.  Based on accumulated dollar value of these investments, the OFSC conservativly estimates the current worth of the provincial trail system at over $300 million.

Recent studies inducate that a very conservative estimate for the current cost of building new trails is about $2000 per kilometer.  Thus if the 46000 kilometer trail system were to be built from scratch today, the real cost would be at least $9.2 billion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
FYI, this makes a dandy little tidbit to throw around in the presence of granola-crunching hikers ,...  there is virtually no other recreational group that has essentially self-funded the development of trails like snowmobilers have.  No offense to our US friends, but this is especially true in Canada where the system is 100% user pay (whereas most states help to fund their trails through gas tax rebates).  Stand proud friends and thank a volunteer today!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your trails over there show the investment. a job well done!!!
                                   Tom

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
what i can say for our local boys is they are a fantastic group, the groomers never get left out overnight when not in use because the farmers always have a warm barn for them to sit in. most of the trail markers around my home are made from leftovers donated and repairs made to the groomers are done in the farmers barn by him. i think if we went and looked at the real expense around here to have all done without volunteer help and donated repairs it would blow the lid off the cost per kilometer posted.

thank you volunteers from the burford and area snowmoblie club you are the best.  

1 - 4 of 4 Posts