Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got to go on the ride of a lifetime in Ontario with VideoMike thanks to Keith breaking his ankle, thanks Keith [in a nice way of course.] Mike needed help on this trip and offered a free expence paid ride to Ontario. Duh, free hell yes I'll go!
We left Mike's place on Sunday morning around 9:00am for a 16 hour drive to Atikokan Ontario.
This wonderland is 1.5 hours into Canada from International Falls Mn.
We did a 4 day saddlebag tour with some of the most beautiful scenery and trail conditions only dreams are made of.
We started at Atikokan with Sno-Ho club members Kim Cross :inlove: , Robin Johnson, Carrol Wahlley and Willie James. They led us across beautiful landscapes and lakes that you only see in pictures.
Someone mentioned their are over 70,000 lakes in this region and I can tell you we seen many. Some lakes were only a mile long while others were as long as 90 but most averaged about 5 miles.
The trails were mostly at their 9' minium limit and twisty but not a problem as we only seen 6 other sleds pass us in 4 days and 630 miles! They were a blast, I felt like an Indy driver even with my triple powered barney.
They took us to many sites in the area including White Otter Castle and even showed us several real indian rock paintings. These sites will be shown on Video Mikes show this fall.
Our trip continued from point to point with our first club members taking us half way then meeting with the next set of club members and so on and so on. At one time we had 16 members riding with us. Everyone was great and super friendly, kind of reminded me of the days when I was growing up as a kid when everyone knew everyone and was there when you needed them.

I can tell you these folks take their snowmobiling and clubs seriously. They are funded soley on what permits they sell in their area getting $100.00 from each permit. Their clubhouses which get help from donations are beautiful, there groomers are top notch and everyone lends a hand in one way or another keeping out of house cost to a minium.
All the areas have great motels and resturants and if you breakdown all you have to do is call one of the many clubs and a member will be out to get you or help fix the problem on the spot.
If your afraid to venture out on your own, again, many club members are just looking for an excuse to ride. Everything is marked well including the ice crossings with long orange reflective poles in the ice.
One sign you wont see is curve signs only slow signs, this way you will slow down because you dont know whats ahead.
So if you want to ride somewheres where the trails are smooth as glass and the beauty bar-none look into the Atikokan, Ignace, Sioux, Dryden, Kenora, Crystal Falls, Nestor Falls or Emo area.
Only problem is,,,,once you go their everywhere else is only second best!

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
I always wonder when I hear people complaining about price. Like you said the are worth every penny as everything else is a let down after riding their trails.

If the UP trails were like that I would not blink an eye about $250 trail permit.

Glad a SW member got to take advantage of this trip.

·
Registered
252 Posts
congrats!!!! glad you got to see some of our finest trails and had a good time.you think that was good there is much more to see.the northern ontario trails are the best forsure.sounds like you had a great time and come back again i'm sure you will someday.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The permit is only $180.00 the (pre-season) price for the Best snowmobiling paradise.
I have 2 more weeks of sledding in Ontario starting next week. Looking forward to it...

Thanks for riding with SnowTrails TV.

Video Mike

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Mikadoo glad to hear you had a great trip and were able to experience a small part of Ontario. If you went to other areas you would find for the most part the trails are just as awesome...

Video Mike if you are ever up this way give us a shout..be happy to ride around with ya :D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Congrats Mikadoo!

I'm glad you got to experience the magic and now understand.

Hopefully you'll get many more opportunities to come back.
We had a great time riding with Mike and Kieth last year in Cochrane.
Heading back up there tomorrow morning.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats Mikadoo!

I'm glad you got to experience the magic and now understand.

Hopefully you'll get many more opportunities to come back.
We had a great time riding with Mike and Kieth last year in Cochrane.
Heading back up there tomorrow morning.

Jeff[/b]
I have always understood the beauty of riding in Canada. I have been in the Wawa area and it is also very nice. Nothing like a ride up their forsure.
The long distance trip and high cost for everything there puts a damper on a lot of U.S. folks but I will be back again someday.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is one of thousands of rock scenes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here were at White Otter Castle.
That's me on the far right and Mike next to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the official film cruiser.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
I shall get there someday....... Glad you got to experience it. :thumbsup:

We filmed with Mike during the SW ride so I know all about his sled.. lot's of added equipment on that sled.

Snow4

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
:) must be nice :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I dont think I want to ride up there I would never want to come home :undercover:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well I got to go on the ride of a lifetime in Ontario with VideoMike thanks to Keith breaking his ankle, thanks Keith [in a nice way of course.] Mike needed help on this trip and offered a free expence paid ride to Ontario. Duh, free hell yes I'll go!
We left Mike's place on Sunday morning around 9:00am for a 16 hour drive to Atikokan Ontario.
This wonderland is 1.5 hours into Canada from International Falls Mn.
We did a 4 day saddlebag tour with some of the most beautiful scenery and trail conditions only dreams are made of.
We started at Atikokan with Sno-Ho club members Kim Cross :inlove: , Robin Johnson, Carrol Wahlley and Willie James. They led us across beautiful landscapes and lakes that you only see in pictures.
Someone mentioned their are over 70,000 lakes in this region and I can tell you we seen many. Some lakes were only a mile long while others were as long as 90 but most averaged about 5 miles.
The trails were mostly at their 9' minium limit and twisty but not a problem as we only seen 6 other sleds pass us in 4 days and 630 miles! They were a blast, I felt like an Indy driver even with my triple powered barney.
They took us to many sites in the area including White Otter Castle and even showed us several real indian rock paintings. These sites will be shown on Video Mikes show this fall.
Our trip continued from point to point with our first club members taking us half way then meeting with the next set of club members and so on and so on. At one time we had 16 members riding with us. Everyone was great and super friendly, kind of reminded me of the days when I was growing up as a kid when everyone knew everyone and was there when you needed them.

I can tell you these folks take their snowmobiling and clubs seriously. They are funded soley on what permits they sell in their area getting $100.00 from each permit. Their clubhouses which get help from donations are beautiful, there groomers are top notch and everyone lends a hand in one way or another keeping out of house cost to a minium.
All the areas have great motels and resturants and if you breakdown all you have to do is call one of the many clubs and a member will be out to get you or help fix the problem on the spot.
If your afraid to venture out on your own, again, many club members are just looking for an excuse to ride. Everything is marked well including the ice crossings with long orange reflective poles in the ice.
One sign you wont see is curve signs only slow signs, this way you will slow down because you dont know whats ahead.
So if you want to ride somewheres where the trails are smooth as glass and the beauty bar-none look into the Atikokan, Ignace, Sioux, Dryden, Kenora, Crystal Falls, Nestor Falls or Emo area.
Only problem is,,,,once you go their everywhere else is only second best![/b]
haha, Sounded like it was a blast! Those are the kind of trips where who cares what you ride as long as it got you thru it and you enjoyed it!
Those pics look exactly where i grew up( Northern Sask), gotta love those precambriam rocks!! We also have indian rock paintings from ages? ago, gotta like it,
LetsDoIt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad you had a good time Mikadoo. I was really sorry to miss that one. I was able to get out for a hundred mile day just before the snow went. My ankle held me to under 800 miles this year.[/b]
I gotta get a pic on here you wouldn't beleive the snow we have here, ours and neighboors front lawns have 6 - 8' of snow as the city dumps the road snow on our front lawns!
Trail wise ~3.5 - 4' or snow still.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont think I want to ride up there I would never want to come home :undercover:[/b]
You got that right!
I doo most of my riding around Frederic with my buddies and told them after riding in Ontario that Frederic has got to be the "armpit" of snowmobiling in comparison.
Only problem going to Canada to ride is you need to take a second mortgage out! Everything is basicly double in price!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts