Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend's 580 grenaded a piston on the last ride last spring.  It looks like the bottom of the piston exploded and the pieces somehow ended up on top (locking the motor).  Has anyone tried Weisco's in the 580?  Will new pistons cure the skirt breaking problem that is always talked about or is the cylinder/port design the culprit?

·
Registered
508 Posts
When I dropped a skirt it was because both intake boots were cracked and leaking huge amounts of air into the cylinders.  I was told by the dealer this had nothing to do with the cylinder design, purely my lack of attention to the intake boots.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There weren't any noticeable cracks in the intake boots but they did not feel as pliable as they should.  Maybe that was the cause.
I was looking at it last night.  He's got a mess.  Pulverized aluminum everywhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
They almost always crack on the bottom.  You almost have to take them all the way off the cylinder and then check them.

FYI, I have aftermarket pistons in my 580 now, problem free for 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
JD, what model was it. Send me an Email telling me, I will be out of town so I won't be on here checking the messages. I had a 2000 ZL580 that gernaded 3 times in 1 year.[email protected]

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one is a '95 ZR Carbed with 3400 miles so it's past the 3000 mile "wall".  Someone told me that the 580 cranks get out of round causing the skirt breakage.  That's the first time I've ever heard of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts