Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were going to change oil in a friends 05 sled and when we pulled the plug on the Diamond drive there was no oil in it. Just wondering what to expect when we get into the gear case. If anyone has had experience with this. He said the sled drove fine last year.
Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
You might get away with just a new seal in it, depends when he lost the oil I guess to determine the damage. It is easy to pull off and split to see for wear. Quite common for the 05's to have water in between the seals which would either freeze up after a long ride or let water in the cases or in your case a combination of both and possibly pushing the seal out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I know the dd drive take very little oil, dont over fill it ! Arctic cat had a bullentin on cutting down on the amount of oil needed in the system.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
We were going to change oil in a friends 05 sled and when we pulled the plug on the Diamond drive there was no oil in it. Just wondering what to expect when we get into the gear case. If anyone has had experience with this. He said the sled drove fine last year.
Thanks[/b]
The "drain" plug is not at the bottom of the case. If you didn't tip the sled on it's side, you won't get much oil out, but that does not mean that there is none in it. If there was no oil in it, it would have seized within a couple of miles.

It's a ####-poor design, and the cat engineers deserve a kick in the balls for not designing a dipstick with the case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sled hasnt been driven yet this year. There was some oil in it but it was frozen because it was a 50- 50 mix of water. So we let it thaw out and got oil and water out.
My 06 crossfire the oil was clean and came out like it should when i tipped it. But the 05 firecat didnt look so good.
Guess its probably time for some seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts