Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I found out on my 97 formula 500 you DO have to take off the chaincase,to get the top bearing out,it onle comes in and out from the back side and the bottom comes out normal
from the front facing you.
I just read in here the debate on which way the seal on the bearing faces,I would think they would face back so the bearing is open to oil???
The bottom one was but the top was spent and whoever did it last had no seal on either side thats why I ask,it comes with one side open one closed...any help would be great!
Just when you think its all good I read something else to make me wonder stuff :p

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I thought this question would come up... it always mystifies sledders. The popular consensus is to remove the bearing race seal and open it to the chain case. The factory installs it with the race seal facing the chain case and fills the open cavity with good quality lithium grease before installing the retaining clip and pressing in the outer seal. I'm sorry I must of missed your previous upper bearing question. The only way to replace it is to remove the jack shaft or chain case because the circlip goes in from the motor side the the seal is pressed over it.

Ps. The reasoning for the upper bearing to have its own lube is the fact that it spins .083 faster than crank speed at full shift so the lube in the chain case splashing around would not be enough and the bearing would dry out after a long storage.

Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought this question would come up... it always mystifies sledders. The popular consensus is to remove the bearing race seal and open it to the chain case. The factory installs it with the race seal facing the chain case and fills the open cavity with good quality lithium grease before installing the retaining clip and pressing in the outer seal. I'm sorry I must of missed your previous upper bearing question. The only way to replace it is to remove the jack shaft or chain case because the circlip goes in from the motor side the the seal is pressed over it.

Ps. The reasoning for the upper bearing to have its own lube is the fact that it spins .083 faster than crank speed at full shift so the lube in the chain case splashing around would not be enough and the bearing would dry out after a long storage.

Good Luck !!![/b]
OK so it is possible to remove the top bearing with the chain case on? IF I removed the jackshaft? (future reference)So I put it the top one with the seal facing me?? (sorry just woke up) I look at the fiche and its hard to tell and like you said its hard to imagine that it would face the other way (away from chaincase oil) but if you say then thats the way it will go! you have helped me plenty of times :thumbsup: thanks for the info as usual,wish you saw my first one... :whatever: kinda sucked once I got in there and saw everything was having to come off and I didnt know till I was in there. But I know now :tongue:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
OK so it is possible to remove the top bearing with the chain case on? IF I removed the jackshaft? (future reference)So I put it the top one with the seal facing me?? (sorry just woke up) I look at the fiche and its hard to tell and like you said its hard to imagine that it would face the other way (away from chaincase oil) but if you say then thats the way it will go! you have helped me plenty of times :thumbsup: thanks for the info as usual,wish you saw my first one... :whatever: kinda sucked once I got in there and saw everything was having to come off and I didnt know till I was in there. But I know now :tongue:[/b]
Seal faces chaincase cover
Area between the bearing and jackshaft seal gets a good dab of lithium grease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts