Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local radio station ran an AP news report last night and I did not catch were it was from. The reporter said that a snowmobiler had been prostesting to the local DNR to have a tree stump from a lake removed as it stuck out of the water and he claimed someone would hit on their snowmobile it and get killed. After three years of complaining he ended up hitting and getting killed. That was all that I caught and didn't know if anyone else heard about this or had any details. I want to make sure I am getting the facts straight.

·
Registered
505 Posts
SOOOO......lemme see if I get this right.......

this guy KNEW about the stump....complained about it for three years.....so he obviously saw it many many times over three years......

then goes sledding....and hits said stump........

if anyone has this article - please post it - hard to believe someone could actually be that dumb.......

darwin award candidate?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
its a stump

why should the DNR remove it

Are they suppose to be babysitters????

·
Registered
593 Posts
:withstupid:

No kidding ehh. 5 minutes later...stumps gone.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
that crap happend 20 min from where I live.. out on a creek.. and I dont know what DNR stands for. but the local people about wildlife and #### said they didnt have the funds to remove it. and the guy asked for them to put up signs or something they didn't do that either. suposibly they painted it orange to make it stand out but riding at sun down can't really see much coming around a corner anyways.

its a sad story to see that a snowmobilers life has to be taken before people do #### bout stuff around here.

but also after riding in the same area for 3 years you should know your territory..

·
Registered
657 Posts
He complained about the stump for 3 years, which means he snowmobiles over that area frequently. If he insists on going around that area regularly, wouldn't he do something about it himself? If it's to benifit himself, why not? I'm sure if he was that upset about the stump being there, he could have borrowed a chainsaw. But then again, if it killed him, I guess he learned his lesson too late: if something concerns you, don't just complain, do something about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
that crap happend 20 min from where I live.. out on a creek.. and I dont know what DNR stands for. but the local people about wildlife and #### said they didnt have the funds to remove it. and the guy asked for them to put up signs or something they didn't do that either. suposibly they painted it orange to make it stand out but riding at sun down can't really see much coming around a corner anyways.

its a sad story to see that a snowmobilers life has to be taken before people do #### bout stuff around here.
but also after riding in the same area for 3 years you should know your territory..[/b]
DNR stands for Department of No Results.LOL Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
This is what I found on the local O.P.P. (Ontario Provincial Police) site re: this incident.

Date/Time: 3rd February 2007 1:45 a.m.

Lakeshore man dies in Snowmobile collision

(Lakeshore,Ont) On the 2nd February 2007 at approximately 11:50p.m. Lakeshore O.P.P. were called to Lake St.Clair just west of the Belle River marina for a single snowmobile collision.

A yellow Skidoo snowmobile was being driven east/bound on Lake St.Clair by a 47-year-old man from Lakeshore when his snowmobile hit a large tree stump that was frozen into the ice on the Lake. The deceased was ejected from the snowmobile quite a distance and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The next of kin are being notified and the deceased name will NOT be released until notifications are done.

The Western Region Technical Collision Investigators attended the scene to complete their investigation.

Investigation Ongoing.

There will be NO further releases on this incident until notifications are done.

The story I heard was that this accident took place on Lake St; Clair. Not actually a creek. He alledgedly was travelling at a high rate of speed as his body was thrown for a fairly long distance. He did see the stump but tried to turn or stop and ended up sliding into it. He couldn't cut the stump out because there's a lot of boat traffic here and if he were to cut it out, then the boats would hit the remaining stump that would be just below the surface of the water. Apparently he'd been lobbying for 3 years to have this stump removed professionally at the bottom so it wouldn't be a hazard to any boaters. I also heard it had been painted orange to make it more visible but only during the day. No matter what did happen, and we may never get all the details, it's always tragic when a snowmobiler is injured or worse yet, a life is lost.
Our deepest symphathies go out to the family and friends.

Jeff

·
Registered
548 Posts
Very sad , I don't understand why reflective signs or tape was not placed on the stump. My good friend and 3 others of us did reflective tape all over the trails down by Dicky lake From Trudies gas bar all the way to his cottage. It was the reflective truck tape. We simply hung it on small branches along the edge of the trail. It helps , anyone who crosses the small lakes , and ponds down there knows what I mean. You can see exactly where the trail starts on the other side.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I still don't understand how someone who was complaining about an obstacle for three years could be the one to hit it. I don't like to speak ill of the deceased, so I won't, but you get my point.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
its a tree stump on a LAKE or RIVER

it is NATURAL here are BILLIONS of those all over

there is no need to remove it

We call them dead heads

its called slow the hell down!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you are unfamiliar with the area

people can not take care of themselves these days and expect a the government to take care of them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts