Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys noticed any power or speed gains by running synthetic oil like klotz-amsoil-torco or others?

Or do you use it for the superior engine protection?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I switched to Amsoil last year.  Maybe it was psychological but I thought I noticed a performance improvement.  Nothing drastic though.  I mainly use it for protection, cleaner burning, and less smoke.

FishHog

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the Amsoil and use it because I personally think the synthetics are better for your engine protection.  I never foul plugs and the pistons are super clean. No carbon deposits etc.  The only thing is that I find it hard to read the wash and plug color because it is so clean burning.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Besides being clean burning, I thought my machine had better performance using Amsoil, kind of like when the jetting is right on. I switched for the clean burn and excellent protection, but thrilled  with the improved performance.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I too swiched to Amsoil for cleaner burn and better protection since it's not much more expensive than reg.doo oil. It flows way better in cold temps also. Some people say that it stinks and irritate the eyes but I've never notice that. People who ride behind me don't complain, they actually like the smell.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I actually do notice that it burn my eyes.  Not when out riding, or even following my buddies who run Amsoil, but when I start it in the garage, or have it warming up on the enclosed trailer, I always get the burning eyes.  Not a big deal, just enought to make you blink a few more times.

FishHog

·
Registered
119 Posts
you all running the regular amsoil or the racing version?

I'm running the regular Amsoil in my Cat and it seems to work better then the AC synthetic oil. Much Less smoke and the bellypan in staying clean with the amsoil. AC synthetic started turning it black.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Regular.  I don't think the racing is worth the extra money, for trail riding.

FishHog

·
Registered
308 Posts
How it smells/smokes it an important factor especially when there is a lot of traffic I suppose. However, as far as engine protection goes, one probably need not buy the expensive stuff either. Here's an interesting article on oil testing done by one company.......

http://www.powerchutes.com/oil.pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts