Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,I'm about to put new head on my 01 mxz 800 and was wondering what kind? I baught the new havoline (texaco) long life 50-50 solution is it ok? should I put S.Doo only? While I'm at it,should I take the cylinders off to check if everything is ok?she's got 1500miles on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Texaco's fine and just in case you were not aware the 2001 repair manual calls for a 60%antifreeze/40% water.As for tearing the rest down, I would probably change rings and check pistons and cylinders.Cudney made some interesting comments about engine leakdown and re-ringing.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
there is anti-feeze that is aluminum friendly it supposedly has ingredients to enhance the life of the aluminum system.

·
Registered
176 Posts
almost all major brands of antifreeze are aluminum friendly not to sure if I would use the dexcool brand texaco makes. Gm uses this in most newer cars and trucks if you want to feel safe buy the doo stuff you don`t need that much anyways. I have changed mine every year(mostly from repairs not pm) and use store brands with good luck. did you already have the piston`s replaced by the dealer(recall) jeff in nh

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep,she had the recall before she ever hit the snow.My dealer said they used to specified 60-40 but when I did the recall they said to use 50-50 !By the way when they did the recall they put crapy no name brand in , that kind of piss me off, you pay 10000$ 4 a sled the least they could do is put good stuff in.What did Cudney say about puting in new rings and leak down?  Thanks guys

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have heard horror stories about the extended life coolant gunking up the cooling systems on cars and trucks from GM techs. I am running it in my dirt bike and snowmobile because it contains no silicates that from what I have read is an abrasive, and it eats the water pump seals. Dont know if any of this is fact but I can tell you for sure that the engine on my sled runs a bit cooler and takes alot longer to run the temperature up during extended idleing acording to a temp gauge with the extended life.

·
Registered
625 Posts
tb2,

From what I understand there are a couple of things that are affecting GM's with the extended life anti-freeze. First is failure to clean the contaminants out of the coolant passages in their engine blocks thoughroughly, because the anti-corrosion inhibitors are sacraficial and are used up too early lowering th ph level and letting corrosion start prematurely. Another problem on some vehicles is stray electrical current (from bad grounds, and alternator "noise") which causes corrosion to form much more rapidly. The amount of miles sleds run compared to cars there should not be too many problems if you choose to run extended life coolant. Buy some test strips at your local auto parts store, the will tell you the ph and the protection level by littmus paper like color change, one brand I have is Cool Trak.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi there blk800, I think your putting on a rk tech head right,did they give you set up instructions for it. I beleive you need to measure your cyl. deck height.and change your base gasket to get a certain deck height.Sinse your going to a high comp. head you should change your ring and start fresh,your halfway there now.AS far as antifreeze, as long as it is aluminum compatible you can use it.just my 4 cents.

·
Registered
556 Posts
squish band you are right on the money, kelsey recommends the 6 hole base gasket and a 91 or 92 min octane at i believe 2000 ft above sea level or less with the standard domes. this will give you a compression ratio of 13 to 1. The only time he recommends checking the deck height is if you want to run something other than the 6 hole base gasket that way he can compensate for variances in the gaskets. The deck height on the 800 will be .012 with a 6 hole.As far as the rings, unless you have a damaged ring or cylinder you can use the old ones, with the nikasil and synthetic oil you dont have to worry about ring wear under 4000 miles and then you wouldnt loose a whole lot but its just good practice every 4 to 5 thousand miles. By the way i have an extra set of domes for the rk head for $125 kelsey sells a set for $175.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey squish, yep just finish bolting it today I have a six hole base gasquet so I did not chek the installed squish yet.but still got about 8 monts to do that L.O.L. Can't wait to try them !Got to order some jets...

·
Registered
115 Posts
 I use PEAK as in team peak. I have used it in my race bike and my sleds without a problem for years. It works for so far

·
Registered
115 Posts
 I use PEAK as in team peak. I have used it in my race bike and my sleds without a problem for years. Its worked for me so far. It is also a major sponsor on a lot of racers (if that helps at all ).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts