Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this before and can't find and have a new set of questions. I seem to be going thru antifreeze and can't find a leak. There is nothing on the bellypan and nothing on the ground. I am assuming it must be burning up somewhere. What would happen if I was to put some stop leak into the system (like you do when your car rad leaks) would this work or make bigger problems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a T-Cat that had the same problem. I never did find a leak on the ground or in the garage but did find that it was leaking from around the hose at the water pump. I don't know how much you are loosing but I would have to put in about a pint every couple of rides. I think it only leaked while the motor was running and warm so if it was dripping out, I never could see it in the snow. One way to test the system would be to get a pressure tester and put pressure on the system and see if the pressure drops off. If it does you might be able to see where it is comming from. If it drops off and you cant see it, pull your plugs and look inside the cylinders. You might see some inside. Although if the o-ring on the head was bad it problably be blowing it out of the bottle. Look around the base of the jugs as well. Hope to help some.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
By your description it definately sounds like a internal coolant problem.But do not add stop leak to your sled or you'll be in for engine repairs for sure.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am not sure but someone on this forum had that same problem and found out that it was the water pump seal. Coolent would seep into the crankcase.

Auggie

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A buddy just had a crank go on his zrt800, turns out, that the water pump seals were leaking internaly, wich took out the counter shaft bearing's that jammrd-up breaking teeth off the crank gear, made a nice mess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a buddy with a 02 800 rmk that's doing the same thing. Can't find any green any where. I'm going to tell him about the waterpump seals. Sounds like could be it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem on my zr 700 the last ride i was on my temp light came on after a 40 mile ride,before i left i added about a quarter of a gallon and where it went is beyond me,i let it run in the garage for about 15 mins and saw nothing so o put a pressure tester on the cooling system and to my suprise the coolant hose rubbed against the recoil housing causing a pin hole in the hose,previous to this I siliconed the belly pan so snow a all that good stuff woulnt get in there and cause me steering problems or anything else all the anti-freeze went in the beely pan what a mess,so i would recomend pressure testing it if nothing else you obviously burning it up someplace in your engine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You are probably burning it!  More than likely a leak in your head gasket.  The pressure in the coolent system is 13lbs, I bet that on one of you cylinders, there is a leak, and evertime the piston is on it's way down (exhaust stroke) the pressure from the coolent is spraying in to the cylinder and getting burnt off.

I would order a new gasket and install it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My 97 580 EFI and my riding partner's 97 T-Cat 900 both do the same thing...lose coolant, we are both kind of new to Arctic Cats, earlier in the season, some other riders told us that if you own a Cat..."carry coolant" they use it.  Sounds like it might be something more than normal?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Some riders probably told you that because of AC reputation.  But it is not normal to loss any coolent.  You might be loosing it from a hose or fitting on the heat exchanger.  Look under the sled tunnel and you will see the exchanger.  If you see any green drops then thats the leak and you might just have to retighten the hose clamps.  

Same for any other hose clamps in the engine.  If it is a engine problem then it is probably the head gasket which is a simple quick fix if you know what your doing.  It should take a dealer less then a day to fix it

·
Registered
85 Posts
90% of the time on a 800, 900 or 1000 when they leak antifreeze it is the water pump that leaks.  The impellar is alluminum and it wears and starts to wobble on the shaft.  Stick you finger behind where the hose attaches to the water pump and feel for coolant.  This is where the weep hole is in the pump and you will feel the coolant if that is where it is leaking.  Sometimes you can see coolant around where the hose attaches. There are 2 seals that need to be replace in the inner half of the pump housing.  Replace the impellar (the hole where it mounts on the shaft will be worn) and the rubber washer under the bolt head that holds the impellar on.  Per Arctic Cat grind .020 from the end of the shaft before installing the new impellar and use red loctite to secure it to the shaft.  Let the loctite dry 24 hours befor installing coolant.  This bottoms the impellar out on the shoulder of the shaft and gets it square to the shaft and the loctite keeps it there.  If it ever goes bad again you will have to heat the impellar to get it off.  You can do it with the motor in the  sled but may have to loosen the motor mounts and lift the engine slightly to get the hose off.  I did one yesterday and raised the motor as I had the carbs off anyway.  The others I have done the motor was out already.  Come to think of it, I would leave the hose attached to the cover and just pull it out of the way toward the rear of the sled when you remove the outer cover, then you shouldn't have to lift the motor.  You have to pull the flywheel and the housing that surrounds it but can leave the stator in place.  You will need a flywheel puller and an impact driver to loosen the phillips head screws that hold the water pump cover on.  When complete your sled should not leak a drop of coolant.  You need 2 seals, the impellar and the rubber washer for about $60 total.  You can reuse the o-rings as long as they are not nicked.........Dave

·
Registered
757 Posts
Fastcat800 - Sounds like you're experienced.  Do you work for a dealer in Mpls?  I have a 580 that's leaking from the water pump.  Would the process be the same?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts