Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.
I went to start up my machine last weekend and found it wouldn't start. My fried and I thought it was flooded so we took out the plugs and found them both wet with antifreeze. We dried them out and eventually got it started. The machine is an '02 edge XC SP liquid cooled. when we got it started, it was blowing a lot of white smoke and it smelled of antifreeze. The thing is, all winter, I have continually been ading antifreeze to the bottle. Not a lot mind you but enough. It is missing the extra cooler that it need for that year I found out, and it will overheat easily when there is not enough snow or on a slow drive.
Can anyone help with assistance on what it could be that is causing the antifreeze to end up in my engine? I just found out and since it is summer coming up, I want to get it fixed for the next snow year in about 3 months. Could the head have warped? or are the seals gone bad?

I appreciate anything I can get right now.

N2ishn

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
pull the head first. probably just an oring. the problem is if your crank was swimming that long it may have some pitted bearings. you can pull the plugs on the crankcase near the bottom to drain the misplaced water out.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'd take pulling the heads a step further and do the base gaskets while I was at it. Extra cooler not needed for people not riding in marginal conditions. If you are spending a lot of time in marginal conditions, for what they get for that aux. cooler (less than 100.), just do it. It's also possible that you've managed to get an air bubble locked in your tunnel coolers, and that could easily be causing your cooling headache. The front of the machine needs to be raised up a foot or so, making sure the engine is at the high point of the cooling system - then bleed to make sure it's full.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH WITH LAST REPLY ,WHEN YOU PULL THE HEAD, YOUR GOING TO FIND A WASTED ORING(S) CHECK HEAD WITH STRAIGHT EDGE FOR WARPAGE. MAKE SURE YOU BLEED THE SYSTEM 100% OR IT WILL OVERHEAT JUST IDLING AFTER 5 MIN(S)

COBRA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm going to pull the engine this weekend and try and order a whole new set of gaskets and check the head for straightness. I might as well check the compression on both cylinders as well you think? What is the standard pressure for the cylinders? The bugger part is that there are no immediate dealers to get new gaskerts up here. I'll have to do some searching around to get some from down south.
So even though the antifreeze is still flowing through the coolers, there can still be an a lock in it?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I think most of us wouldn't bother pulling the motor. Repairs could be done easily with engine in place. Or, maybe you meant you were going to 'pull it down' ?

As far as the air bubble in the coolers, yes, that happens frequently - especially when you are having trouble like you describe. Coolant will circulate fine. Bubble just never makes it to the top of the system, taking up a lot of the space that coolant should be.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
torque the head first then the base. dont spend too much time searching for the warped head. most likely its just a gasket failure on the head or base. please dont pull the motor as mhicks said. its not needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts